Monday, July 29, 2013

Who's on First?

Hi All!  Sorry this is late, my family and I are on vacation with no modern technology.  But I have something really important I want to share with you so I am getting creative.






WHO’s on First?  




     Growing up during my teenage years I used to argue with my dad about a couple things (well, probably more than a couple if I am really honest).  My mom passed away when my twin sister and I were only 13 so poor Dad was left for all the “fun” growing up stuff.  Anyway, I digress.   Dad always said we do not grow up until we are 25 (I argued with him until I was about 28 and a parent myself).  He also said a good part of life is about WHO you know, not WHAT you know.  Being a strong willed, task oriented perfectionist I adamantly refused to believe that.

     Over the years since then (25+) I have experienced truth in my dad’s comment about WHO you know being important.  In fact, I am in the midst of one of these experiences right now.  Let me explain.

     During Portfolio Exploration one of the assignments is to interview someone that uses a portfolio (preferably someone in your chosen field of photography).  At this point I was honestly still a little confused as to exactly what direction I wanted to go.  Well not so much wanted but what direction was practical.  I called a friend whose father has been in the photography business for MANY years (studio, portrait, events, etc) and through this conversation I told her that I am really interested in documentary/editorial photography and maybe photojournalism.  She told me she has a friend at the Des Moines Register that is a photojournalist.  At 11:30pm (sometimes we work odd hours) I received a forwarded text from my friend saying the PJ would be happy to talk me, his phone number and a time to call.

Sometimes it DOES matter WHO you know!

     I took my list of interview questions and within 60 seconds of the phone call he broke the “formality ice” with a joke and the rest of the conversation/interview was a ton of fun and a wealth of information.  We ended up talking about what equipment we used and he encouraged me to apply for an opening photojournalist position at the Resister and told me to keep his contact information.  WOW!

Sometimes it is WHO you know.

 
  

 And the story does not end there.  Every year the Register sponsors RAGBRAI (the Register’s Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa) and this year it passed through my town.  I planned to photograph the event for my own purposes and as I was photographing the oldest RABGBRAI participant (Betty turns 90 on Wednesday) I noticed someone in a Des Moines Register t-shirt doing the same.  LIGHT BULB moment!  I sent PJ a text asking if he was in town and we could meet.  He said, “Sure,” and we made arrangements.











     Not only did we meet, but for TWO HOURS, I shot photos WITH PJ! 



I saw things through the eyes of a real Photojournalist. 




We ended up on the ROOF of a BANK ......


































..... and the top of the largest working windmill in the United States .....


























        to get the best vantage points for street shots! 

Another thing my dad always said, “It never hurts to ask, the worst that can happen is you get told ‘No,’ and then you are no worse off than if you had never asked.”  I would add the best that can happen is they say, “Yes!”

Who’s on first?  It DOES matter!

It has been a Manic Monday…..

Monday Ambassador

Photo credits:
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhKP7jEIzQCFt0mnOO_UDnRwS_GwRJWl5TFnTWebjrScSKTw5XTmuQYvd0xfiVvKuMpxzY85_6RgBazxNQrwYbbR4OAvzsBZUdQEk05T0BzI8Sq2aAAkuKl0FeqNok9cVH-QwA2ly8acqs/s1600/A+%26+c.jpg
Lisa K. Morgan Photography (lisakayimages.zenfolio.com)

1 comment:

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!