Monday, July 22, 2013

Drat - I Missed It!

Driving home Saturday after a long, hot day of watching soccer games, I was coming up on a big corner when I noticed a lot of flashing lights in the West bound lands and I wondered what was up.  As I got closer, I slowed down a bit and saw two fire trucks spraying water, two or three police/sheriff vehicles (rural area), and a very black, very charred SUV.  There was no ambulance and no sense of urgency.  My guess is that somehow the engine blew and the SUV went up in flames.  It was not until five minutes later that I went, “DRAT!”  I had my camera with me, but I missed what could have been some good shots.



Last Fall my oldest son was slated to be the All State Running back, had a goal of rushing for 2000 yards and was just as amazing on the defensive side of the ball.  He is our #2 child out of 10, so I also had a nursing 2 month old at the time.  I had the privilege of photographing from the sidelines all the games and at halftime I would nurse the baby.  It was a pretty good arrangement. 
It was game 4, our team was kicking the opponent’s butts and my son was rocking their socks off.  A few people caught me at the beginning of halftime to chat so I did not get settled in the nurse the baby right away.  The second half started and I was sitting along the track nursing the baby, anxious to get back to the sidelines with camera in hand.  Mid-way through the third quarter, my son was suddenly down.  Way across the field so we could not see what was going on.  He had gone down with leg cramps before so we all were hoping that was it.  But there was a different feel in the air.  When the head coach and the Orthopedic Surgeon are the ones helping your son off the field, you know it is different. 

A trip to the ER and numerous x-rays revealed a an ankle that was not only broken, but would require surgery.  212 yards he had already in that game.  Nearly 1000 yards already on the season. He was being recruited by some pretty exciting D1 schools.  It was a season ending break.  And it was his senior year. 

I photograph the good the bad and the ugly, because it takes all parts to make the story.  I “assumed” by nursing the baby into the third quarter, I would only miss a few shots and we had half a season ahead then play offs and hopefully a state title (we were favored going into the season).  I missed all the action of his injury.  There was not another photo of him making a great play in his senior season.  At that time I was in “mom” mode and that was the mode I was most needed in (but I still wish I had those shots).

The only shots you miss are the ones you do not take. 

Drop me a line about a shot you might have missed or a question you have.  We are here to help any time!

It’s just another Manic Monday…..

Monday Ambassador