Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Where is that picture?!?

Where is that picture?!?

          This is the situation: you have finished your photography assignment and the Art Director approaches you and says: “Hey, I love your pictures and the way you frame them, I liked one specific image you did for me last year about this time, the one with the red flowers along the river bank, can you get me another copy in about one hour.  I will use that picture to get you another job”.

          If you have made a habit of tagging your images with keywords, then you should have no problems finding that image…however, if haven’t then what are you going to do to find that specific image?
Keywords are a way that photographers can tag images for reference in finding them later on.  As a photography student you probably will be accumulating images at an alarming rate as every single assignment would have a minimum of 30-40 images to be posted.  To get that amount of images, you probably have taken about twice every single time in order to select the best ones.  Entering my fourth year of studies at the AiO, I have accumulated over 15,000 images during that time, not all of them for classes, but still that is a lot of images!

          It would be a good idea (if you haven’t done it yet) to start using keywords with all your images and projects.  We all use Lightroom, and with this program, keywording your images is painless.  So, there are several things that you can do to make your life easier with the use of keywords:

1.      You can assign the keyword during import, that way as you download the images, they are tagged with the words selected for that specific download.  If you forget to do it during import, you can still do in the library mode.

2.      When assigning key words, use those that are relevant to the images.  If you take a portrait of a family on location, you can use the location, names, date, background, and/or
anything that will go along with the picture.

3.      Variety is key, the more words you use the chances to find that specific image is higher.

4.      Later on you can search the entire library by simply typing the word.
Want to read more about this, then click here.

How about an exercise (no it is not graded) to demonstrate what I am talking about.  What key words would you use with the following image?




          The keywords I used were: Zilker (location), water, lily, pink, lily pad, single, side view.  Of course, that means that I have more and that I needed to be precise (I have 450 images of water lilies). If you used any of the above words, then you are ready to start using keywords, if you already are using them, then keep up the good work!

Let me share a cartoon that reminded me that there is always a bright side to small incidents that can happen to us from time to time, and yes, this has happened to me!



Until later, drop me a line,


Tuesday Ambassador