Thursday, July 18, 2013

What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?

Good Thursday Morning from your Thursday Ambassador. It is a great day today. I get a private session to photography a Frank Lloyd Wright house today! This came about because I am a student at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh Online Division. Be glad you are a student too!

THEN  and  NOW
When I was a child I thought about being a great pianist. I even dreamed getting married in a field of yellow daisies with a grand piano there. Funny, I pictured the field and piano but not much of the wedding. J I did go to college immediately after high school and major in piano performance, but the degree I got was my Mrs. not a bachelors.  I spent the next 20 years supporting my husband’s pastoral ministry with my music ministry. Now he is encouraging me to get my degree.

Along my married journey I also met and fell in love with photography. Once I picked up a camera (actually I was given two Mamiya 645s) and started capturing emotions of people, I was hooked. That was back in the mid-1990s. Ever since people have been asking me to photograph them. I wanted to learn as much as I could so I went to as many photography seminars as I could and I turned into a good photographer. I kept telling my husband, and growing children, that as soon as I wasn’t needed to raise our kids, I was going back to college to get that degree I stopped a year short of. About 2005 that dream was drawing close enough to start thinking seriously about what do I want to be when I grow up? I didn’t see my music going anywhere it wasn’t already being used, so it seemed futile to finish a music degree. I was working as a part-time freelance photographer, and absolutely loving it, so this made a lot more sense.

THEN  and  NOW
THEN (top)  and  NOW
I contacted the local colleges and universities (because I couldn’t relocate to go to school) but none of them offered a photography program that would have been as in-depth as what I already had experienced. That is when I found AIPOD. I looked for a school that would not only give me the degree I wanted, but help me move from being a good photographer to a great photographer. I planned to, and have, put in 100% effort to get to that place. I have also pursued learning outside the classroom. I take advantage of photography classes taught by master photographers. I took a week long Master Class taught by Clay Blackmore and David Ziser that really cemented my ability and confidence to properly light and pose my subjects. I take in as many CreativeLIVE trainings as I can (because you can watch them free online-and ask questions live when they are videoing them). You can see 3 days of Pose It, Light It, Love It with Clay Blackmore July 29-31. Just sign up free at CreativeLIVE.com. Today I'm starting one on High Volume Photography Business. 

Before I started AIPOD I rarely practiced my photography outside an actual shoot. Now I understand the reason to practice over and over. Even if I can accomplish my goal on the first try, I gain confidence and streamline my process each time I accomplish it again. This creates a confidence in me, which will also create confidence in my clients as they see me work. So now that I have only 3 months left to complete my bachelors in photography, I can look back and see a huge difference in my photography, my confidence level, and my ability to run my business successfully.


So what is your story…and what do you want to be when you grow up? Share it with us.