Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My Top 5 Sources of Inspiration

One of the hardest things I have found as I have navigated my way through the Art Institute Online Division curriculum is constantly finding new subjects to photograph.  I love the assignments that are so specific that all I have to do is follow the instructions, but at the end of the day those aren't really satisfying.  The further along in my studies that I get, the more and more creative control I have over the shooting assignments... but where do I get ideas and inspiration from?  Well here's my Top 5 List of places I look for inspiration:

1. TV 

Breaking Bad
I am an avid binge watching TV addict.  I cut the cord to cable a couple of years back so it's nothing but Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and iTunes for this ambassador.  And as you would expect with that comes binge watching.  I noticed in the past year or so as I watch TV that pay more attention to composition, lighting, mood, etc.. in my favorite shows.  It also helps me think of new angles and types of shots that I can create for my own projects.



2. Movies

Much like TV shows, movies have been a big part of my life for many years, and again I watch movies differently now than I did a year ago.  I think both forms of media (TV/Movies) are great sources of inspiration for project ideas.


3.  Comic Books/Graphic Novels

In the same way that Hollywood has embraced the comic book world for story lines and intellectual properties, I think photographers can find inspiration in the art of comic books/graphic novels.  I think the artists in tis medium create portraits with fantastic lines and composition and it is fun to incorporate that into some of my own images.

4. Books


The Artist
Admittedly I don't read for fun nearly as much as I should anymore, but there are still many books that I have read in the past in which I was able to paint a vivid mental picture that still holds water today.

5.  Other Photographers

Were you wondering if I was going to include this one?  Of course.  Learning from those who came before you is a great way to kick-start your creative juices.  No matter what genre of Photography you are into, there is bound to be someone that you admire that shoots in the same genre.  Study their work and see how you can improve/bend it to suit your style.


What are your inspirations?  Are they the same as mine?  Leave a comment and let me know.


Works Cited

Gilligan, Vince, dir. "Pilot." Episode #101. Breaking Bad. A+E. 20 Jan. 2008. Netflix. Web. 23 July 2013. <http://netflix.com>.

Hazanavicius, Michel, dir. The Artist. Studio 37, 2011. Netflix. Web. 23 July 2013. <http://netflix.com>.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!