Monday, July 15, 2013

I'm Late, I'm Late, for a Very Important Date!


As students a AiO we are faced with many deadlines for submitting assignments and participating in discussions.  The deadlines are very important for several reasons.  One reason is that with our classes only being 5.5 weeks long, if we get behind, it is REALLY hard to catch us.  Another is that in that in the real world we have deadlines and school is a great place to learn and train ourselves to be one time.  That being said, sometimes life happens and we find it is simply impossible to meet a deadline in class.  So what do you do?

After you have a mild panic attack ……..

breathe. 

Breathe deep,

Three – slow – deep breaths.

Now, get your ducks in a row, come up with a good solid plan.  How are you going to handle this situation?  How are you going to get your work submitted?  How late will it be?
Then you MUST contact your Instructor!  A phone call or email is fine, but you MUST contact your Instructor!  Depending on your situation and who your instructor is, you might be extended some grace.  Here are a couple scenarios with different outcomes:

I was working on a project/assignment and just not getting the images that I wanted.  They were not up to my standards.  I made a conscious decision to turn the assignment in a day late and take the deduction rather than turn in images I was not happy with.  I emailed my instructor straight away and explained why I would be turning my assignment in late.   While I did indeed take the 10% deduction, my commitment to excellence made an impression on the instructor and kept me true to myself.

At another time, in another class, with another instructor. My oldest son is a very gifted athlete and was being recruited by D1 schools for football (and potentially basketball and baseball).  In game 4 of his senior football season, in the middle of the 3rd quarter, on his 212th yard of the game, he broke his ankle.  This did not exactly fit the schools policy, but the instructor granted me grace for a late assignment.

Deadlines are extremely important and you should do everything you can to always meet them.  But sometimes being late is unavoidable.  Just be professional and handle it.

Drop me a note and let me know how I can help you today!

It’s just another Manic Monday…..

Monday Ambassador