Monday, October 21, 2013

Trouble with a capital “T”

Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble…..

Our high school is performing “The Music Man” and I have this song running through my head in the annoying, it will never go away sort of way.  But it does allude to something I want to talk about today.  In each and EVERY one of our classrooms, under EVERY week, just below the assignments, is a place few people go…..

But we all should!

I will be the first to raise my hand as “guilty” of not using this section as well as I could (or at all to be honest).  I did not really understand the purpose of it until recently and sadly I have been at this over two years and am nearly finished.  I want my loss to be your gain.

This is what I am talking about:


Problems and Solutions Discussion.  

For some reason I thought I had to have some big “issue” to post there.  I could not have been more wrong. 

Click under this section and this is what it says,
”This Problems and Solutions Discussion forum is where you can post information about any technical or assignment problems you're experiencing, and post any solutions, tips, tricks or other comments that would be of value to fellow students.”

My current Instructor adds this note,
If you have any questions about this week's assignments that you think your classmates might also have, please post them here.  If you think you have an answer to a classmate's question, you are welcome to chime in - this is a community, let's welcome one another and support each other as we learn more about portraiture!

This, ladies and gentlemen is a FABULOUS tool, a GREAT resource, a WONDERFUL arena for us to connect and help one another.  Remember that no question it too small or stupid.  I struggled all the way through Lighting PH136 not knowing if I should leave the modeling light on all the time when using strobes or shut it off.  It was not until I was taking Studio Photography PH212 and was having a phone conversation with the Instructor that it occurred to me to ask her and not feel ridiculous about it.  If I had posted a little note in the Problems and Solutions Discussion during week one of Lighting, then I would have known.  And it is entirely possible other students in the class had the same question.

This is a learning environment!  We are all here to LEARN.  To better foster that we need to simply ask questions when we have them. It may very well be that a classmate knows the answer.  We are all at different places in this journey. One of the beauties of the AiO set up is that because we are all at different points in our journey, we can and SHOULD help one another.  AiO has given us a platform in the Problems and Solutions Discussion where we can do just that.

Do you have a question that you have been too nervous, afraid, or did not think to just ask?  Well now is your chance!

You can always ask us questions here on the blog as well.  That is one part of what we are here for as Student Ambassadors.  We are all a bit further along in our journeys and have found ways to be successful and yet are still learning.  Let us all learn together.

It’s just another Manic Monday …
Monday Ambassador

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!