Wednesday, October 9, 2013

I Never Planned To Be A Photojournalist!

Over the past two weeks I have had an abundance of photojournalism jobs. During the photojournalism classes I took at AIPOD, I kept thinking, I will never use this kind of photography in my wedding and portrait business. I never expected my business to take in business event coverage. You see, these jobs have not been for newspapers or magazines, but rather for Inforum, A Women’s Business Alliance, one of my commercial clients. I covered three lunch events where a moderator had a conversation on the place of women in business today with the special guest. These guests were: in Lansing: Governor Richard Snyder;
in Detroit: Dan Akerson, Chairman of General Motors; and in Grand Rapids: Doug DeVos, President of Amway Corporation. At the meetings with Governor Snyder and Dan Akerson,which were on consecutive days, there was an abundance of press, and I had to take advantage of my role as official photographer for Inforum to get images I wanted. At the first event, I saw the way the press acted, knew I could never be so rude, and quickly adapted so that I could get the images I wanted without being rude. (I asked the governor’s press secretary to let me get a photo after the press conference ended and she kept the governor there just long enough for me to snap a photo of him in front of the banners. I had to make sure that one quick shot counted!) I learned from this what I needed to do to get the shots I wanted. The lunch meeting with Dan Akerson was extremely large, with over 1,000 in attendance and camera and newspeople from every major source. I had my zoom lens, so I got down on the floor with the cameramen in front of the tables for some great shots. And knowing those in charge of Inforum, I was ready at the end of the luncheon to grab a more formal shot with Dan Akerson as they came off the stage. As soon as I was finished, the camera/newspeople were moving in. The lighting in both images was flat, but at least I got the images.

A week passed between the Detroit and the Grand Rapids meetings. Inforum may have limited who could come from the press on this meeting. There were only two other cameras there, and only one shooting during the meeting. I knew exactly where I needed to be to get great images. After the meeting, I had press people from the local paper and media people three other places asking if they could get images from me. I now have contacts with the local newspaper (who already got a photo from me) and the publisher of a local women’s magazine. The newspaper needed a horizontal image. Amway’s media department will be more interested in an image that “puts a good light” on their company president. Which photo do you think Amway will prefer?

Suddenly, today, after this experience, I was glad for the times I was forced to think like a photojournalist. Those classes prepared me to not only cover an event, but do it artistically.


So, the moral of the story, learn every genre the best you can. It will pay off someday.                                          Have a great Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a couple of great events...

    I think it is great that there was substantial interest in your images at the completion of the event, but my question is what are you contractually obligated to provide to Inforum? Do they have exclusive rights? Is it work made for hire? If Amway wants copies of the images because it presents their CEO in a positive light than I would assume that they would want to use the image in press releases and that sort of thing. They should be paying for that license to use that image since you own the rights (unless Inforum does and then its up to them to sell the license to the image).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that discussion immediately after the meeting, knowing they were my client. They realize the images are my property, and were glad that I would be able to sell some. They will put that in writing for future use. I provide copyright license to Inforum. Amway is also one of my commercial clients so it was an easy option. But that is definitely something to beware of dealing with non-connected entities.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!