Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I can't believe it happened to me

I am posting this a little early.  I will be here all day Wednesday to talk about this if you want

I wanted to take a time out this week and talk about something that I never thought would happen to me.  I was Cyber-Bullied today.




Joker & Harley Quinn - Greg Horn





Let's let that sink in for a minute.  I was Cyber-Bullied today.  I am a 39 year old man who has long left high school and petty differences of opinions behind me a long time ago.  I was hurt (because it was someone that I considered a friend) and shocked that it happened to me.



Spiderman/Mary Jane - Greg Horn




I needed to get some things off my chest regarding the situation.

I am entitled to my opinion, just the same as you are entitled to yours.

I never criticized or otherwise made reference to your artwork, although you took it upon yourself to belittle my chosen profession and the art that I create.

I hold all artists in high regard, especially those that have talents and skills that I do not have, you tell me that I do not have a creative spirit and can only do what I was taught.

I have expectations for people that call themselves professionals, not hobbyists, but professionals.  You see no difference and feel that I should leave the hobbyists to their hobbies and the professionals to their professions.  Apparently I am neither.

You call me a bully because I have an opinion.  You bullied me because you didn't like mine.

I would like to still be friends.  You do not.

I am sorry.  You are not.

I am sad.





Red's Vengeance - John Giang

If there is anything to be taken from that is please be respectful of your peers in classroom critiques (my situation was on Facebook not the classroom, which is why I was making some broad generalizations about photographers that could stand to open their ears to constructive criticism).  I would expect nothing less of each of you.  Also please be open to suggestions, critiques, and criticisms.  It is how we learn.  None of us is above it.  There isn't one photographer on the planet that doesn't make a mistake, or misses a detail, or could stand to grow, even if just a little.

Be thick skinned.  If you plan on making art a career, there are going to be people that do not like your work.  They are usually the most vocal about how you suck.  Your fans will not scream how awesome you are.  It sucks, but it is the way it is.  If you can't handle it please either toughen up or rethink your career choices.

For the record, I know I am a growing artist.  My work has evolved and come a long way over the past 3 years.  I am finding my voice and my style.  I appreciate the comments and critiques of my instructors, classmates, and strangers alike.  Each one has helped me grow in my own way.  So to each of them, thank you.


*Side note:  All the art included this week are prints that I have hanging in my office.  It's what brings me back when I am having a bad day.

Works Cited
Giang, John. Red's Vengeance. 2012. Illustration.
Horn, Greg. Joker & Harley Quinn. N.d. Illustration.
- - -. Spiderman/Mary Jane. N.d. Illustration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!