Wednesday, November 13, 2013

But I Don't Wanna....

...buy that new whatever for class that I swear I'll never use because I know better.


Welcome to Photography as a career (and even as a hobby)...its going to be a long, bumpy, and expensive ride.

Every class has equipment requirements and the school even recommends specific models of equipment that will meet the needs of the course.  That doesn't mean you HAVE to buy that particular brand/model, but it does mean that you should buy something with EQUIVILENT or BETTER features.  To be fair it can get expensive.  Personally, I have between $15-20K in gear and ancillary equipment (camera, lenses, iMac, software, printers, paper, light meter, hot lights, studio strobes, etc...)  That doesn't mean you have to spend the same amount that I have, you can get less expensive equipment and do just fine.  But you will need to buy equipment.

Here is my list of things that are expensive, but worth it...

1. Light meter:  This is probably the single most used tool (aside from the camera) in my bag.  Spend the money, buy one, and learn how to use it.  It will be one of the most important things that you can do for your self in your photography career.



2. Printer:  Your all-in-one printer/fax/copier/toaster/Keurig Machine is not acceptable.  You are training to be a PROFESSIONAL photographer, so buy something that will produce a product that is also professional grade.  The school recommends 6+ inkwells or more.  I recommend more.  You don't have to spend $4000 on a printer, but be prepared to spend $300-400 at least.



3.  Strobes:  There are many, many options here and while strobes may not be for everyone, they are required if you plan on completing your degree.  It is my opinion that this is one area that you should not buy the cheapest thing you can find.  Do some research and find something reliable that produces high quality results.  The kit you find with 3 strobes for $100 is probably not your best choice, and probably won't be powerful enough to overpower the sun when you need it to





I am sure there are more items I could add to the list, but I think you get the idea.  Spend some money today to invest in your tomorrow.  Its future, don't short change yourself



Work Cited

Krogemann, Mike. "April." mkphotstudio. Mike Krogemann, n.d. Web. 12 Nov. 2013.
     <http://mkphotostudio.smugmug.com/Portraits/Model-Moment/i-ppMqZ78/0/L/
     Image_76-L.jpg>.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!