Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Are You Ready??


Do you ENJOY being a photographer?  Seems like a silly question, right? Well, you would be surprised.  Photography is one of those professions that you really have to love to stick it out.   A quote attributed to Confucius states, “Chose a job you love and you will never work a day in your life.”  Wise words, though I question them having come from Confucius….

Alpine, (Thursday Ambassador) ©MOKOPhoto 2013



So.  In reality, professional photographers don’t go out, buy a camera, and make money.  It just doesn't work that way. Unless you are very lucky.  A majority of photographers invest a lot of time and money into becoming a professional in the field.  As students, we understand this probably better than anyone.  Asking yourself “do I REALLY enjoy being a photographer,” probably won’t answer the question.  The questions one could ask are, “am I prepared to spend a majority of my time and money investing in my future within this field?” or “am I ready for the rejections and the denials from potential employers and being told that my work, ‘just isn’t what they are looking for’?” 
Matthew, (Thursday Ambassador) ©MOKOPhoto 2013

Sometimes it can be a long hard road. As students, every spare dollar we have is invested into our equipment, always improving and upgrading.  Every spare minute we are shooting. I understand both of these well.  As someone who works full-time,  literally ALL of my “spare” time is spent shooting for assignments.  When bills are paid, I calculate what I can spare for my latest equipment goal. 

So I ask again.  Do you ENJOY being a photographer?  And I include, are you READY to be a photographer?  The road is hard, but if you ENJOY being a photographer, at least you will enjoy the scenery along the way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!