Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Wide-Angle Wednesday: Developing a Workflow


Good Day PSPN,
            Today I’m shooting for developing a workflow. Everyone has a daily routine of some sorts but have you thought about developing a routine not just for course work but also for everyday shooting? Monday I started in course PH124 Digital Image Management. One of the very first assignments is the autobiography but of course the instructor has also asked to describe our workflow and to include an image that is representative to whom we are.

Yesterday marked my fourteenth wedding anniversary and what is more romantic than to watch the sunrise with my husband. Of course I wasn’t going to allow the sun rising be just a memory in my head, I snapped a few shots to share here. This is the image I shared as a representative of me. In short I wake up each day around four thirty in the morning to kick start my day. I prepare breakfast and lunch for my family and send them on their way to school and work. Some time is wasted on social networking, but then I jump into my day. I check the classroom, read emails, and take a stroll around the property seeing if I can catch an image or two of nature. This is my routine, but it does not end there.

Corina Scoggins "Anniversary Sunrise Over St Robert" 18 Feb 2014 
Majority of images captured are for no reason, just part of my routine. Many end up on social networking for friends and family to see. Prior to Ai, I stored images in folders on my desktop and would share here and there. In December I transferred all my files to an external hard drive because my laptop was just about maxed out in memory. Little did I know I had over eighteen thousand images on that hard drive. Well the laptop had been beaten down over the years and even after transferring the files, nothing seemed to help with program lag. I upgraded to a 1TB iMac, and could not be happier. Something I never thought of was now I have a backup computer with all the programs I need just in case one goes down. We’re always asked to make sure we have a backup for Internet, but have you thought about a backup to the programs. Majority of computers have Microsoft Word, but do you have a backup of the Adobe Creative Suite and Lightroom?

Corina Scoggins "Winter Bird" 18 Feb 2014

I still utilize my external hard drive to store all the images, just in case something goes wrong on the main computer. I still create file folders on the external and copy all the RAW image files from my SD cards to the respective folder. I also import all images to Lightroom. If the images are for a specific project such as class, I assign it to a collection labeled by the assignment week and number. For everyday images I leave the images in the dated folder Lightroom creates upon import.

Corina Scoggins "Morning Moon" 18 Feb 2014
Of course not all images shot will make the cut, so I use flagging to narrow down the images I want to further develop. At this point I will add key wording, and give the image a title. I also rename the file to match the title. In some of our course we’re asked to do this for assignments, this is probably how I come to develop this habit. Key wording is important because let’s be honest, how many times have you thought about an image you shot and had to go through file after file trying to locate said image? This is where key wording will help you find that image amongst the thousands of images you have shot.

Don’t forget to add your information for copyright purposes but more importantly the information will be embedded to the image no matter where you post in online. Take credit for your work! Developing a workflow is more than a routine; it will help you develop as a professional. Being organized is a key to being successful.

 The question of the day
Have you developed a workflow? If so what additional steps do you take? Do you have a backup for files and programs?

I will be hanging around PSPN throughout the day. Feel free to leave your comments below.
From My Camera to Yours
Wednesday Ambassador Corina 

Corina Scoggins "Golden Hour Sunrise" 18 Feb 2014

1 comment:

  1. I am a big fan of backing up my backups of backups! I have duplicate hard drives for everything photo-related and have been looking into a cloud-based storage solution for even more security. Everything I publish to my web galleries through SmugMug can be retrieved in its original format as well, which puts me at ease when it comes to wedding and portrait clients. This is such an important issue for all photographers to consider, especially as portfolios grow and we get more and more paying jobs. Being able to quickly find the right image down the road and knowing that it is backed up securely brings me peace of mind! Great topic!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!