Monday, February 17, 2014

He Loves It, She Loves It Not


          In my journey to an Associate’s Degree in Photography here at AiP – OD, I will have about fifteen direct photography courses.  Two times I have had an instructor twice, so that makes about thirteen instructors I will have had.  Every single one of them are individuals.  They come to the classes with different background, different life experiences, and different photography specialties.

            This means that there will be times when one instructor loves a photo you have done and another will not.  Here is an example for you.  My most recent class was Editorial Photography (PH 231). For the Event Assignment I photographed our private school’s homecoming activities and basketball games.  In reviewing what I thought were my top seven shots, Instructor S loved this one:


One of the instructors that I have had twice is an expert in the field of Editorial/Documentary photography and we have struck up a mentorship.  So during PH 231, I ran some things by Instructor M.  One of the things we my promotional card (another PH 231 assignment) and M told me to get rid of this photo on the card.

            I admit I was a little take back.  How could M not like this photo when S had ranted how good it was and it is a piece I would, “keep in my portfolio for a long time to come,”?  After a little time processing, I realized they are individual people and what one likes another may not.  I was reminded that not everyone will love my work, or even love the same works I do.  And that is ok.


            So what did I do?  Well for this course S was the Instructor and because S was handing out the grades, I kept the photo.  Besides that, I really like it too.


          The basic rules of photography will always apply during our courses, but likes and dislikes can vary.  It can also depend on what the photo is going to be used for if it qualifies as “great.”  Of course there is always the bit of advice from Picasso that is good to remember too:

"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist."  ~ Pablo Picasso


Another Manic Monday ………
Monday Ambassador
All photos are by Lisa K Morgan Photography, www.lisakmorganphotography.zenfolio.com, www.mommysmumblings.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!