Saturday, February 8, 2014

Photography is Stupid.....

One of the many things we study here at the Art Institute is the history of photography. As you know, or will soon discover, upon its creation, photography was believed to be nothing more than a mechanical process, by which images are captured. There are many today who still feel it is little more than pointing the lens and clicking a button. When you look at it that way, they're right. Photography is nothing more than a stupid machine.



We see cameras hanging from poles, corners of buildings, whose sole purpose is to capture images of wrong doing, or monitor those within a particular area. No brains needed here, just a sharp focus. In fact, when you compare the work that goes into painting a model, compared to photographing a model, you can almost see where those who criticize photography as a mechanical process are coming from..... almost.



So what is it that makes photography an art rather than simply a mechanical process... the photographer. Left on its own, yes the camera is stupid, nothing more than a machine. It is the photographer, not the camera that creates the art. I look at my camera, the same way a painter looks at his brushes. I look at my lights the same way a painter looks at his paints. Lastly, I look at Photoshop and Lightroom as the fine tools a painter uses to create detail upon the canvas.



It has been said that photography lacks the soul of the artist, in which the artist incorporates into each brush stroke of a painting. I say, bull***! Art is an expression of the artist. Photography can inform, shock, emote, and change people. I use my art to express who I am. My photography isn't for everyone, but those who enjoy my work are passionate about what I create.

Whether you prefer photo-journalism, fashion, editorial, or fantasy photography, you are an artist. There is genuine reality and power in your photographs, and you can change the world. Get out there and shoot, the world is your canvas.

1 comment:

  1. Very well written, even though you left out Nature and Landscape photography at the end. :) Though the blog is photography driven, another example is how society perceives people with piercings or tattoos. Ironically this was the talk at the dinner table this evening. I look at the piercings and tattoos as a form of expression, in other words art. I have a couple tattoos and would love to eventually have more. At a young age I thought six piercings in the ear and one in the tongue was really neat. Of course fifteen years ago the tongue was a weird piercing; today ear lobe gapping and various other locations is considered not the norm. I no longer have the tongue pierced, and I only have three sets of typical ear piercing. I always say that art is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not a fan of Picasso, but I love Van Gogh. What I choose to photograph may excite some but not others. I have never been a painter, nor can I draw but I can capture natures beauty.

    At the end of the day you're exactly right, were all in some form an artist.

    The images are awesome above :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!