Thursday, April 2, 2015

How do you make sure you always have a model when you need one?

Over the last few weeks I've been asked often by several students how to find models when you need them.  Like many of our students I do live in small town in the country and getting out to meet new people isn't always easy but I rarely have a problem locating models.  This is how I find and keep good models.

1. I'm always talent scouting. I don't go anywhere that I don't keep my eye out for someone who might have a good look that I like.  I don't wait until I have an assignment to start looking for models. Sometimes a great model inspires my shoots.

  • Carry business cards you can give out when you see someone with a great look.
  • If you have your camera offer to take a few "test shots" and email them so you have their contact information.
  • Show them a few of your shots so they want to shoot with you.


2.  Be very vocal on your local media sites when you are looking for models.  Don't wait til the last minute to find your model.  One of you might need to reschedule.

  •  Keep track of everyone who offers to model for you so that you can call on them later.
  • People offer me not only their family but they recommend others to me as well.
  • If you see a friend who posts a photograph of someone you would like to shoot speak up and say so.
3. When you find a good model - don't stop shooting them.


I met Issabella Greathouse when I was contacted by a friend when Issy had an emergency. She unexpectedly won a State Beauty Pageant and she had to have some new photographs right away but had a small budget. I was asked if I needed a model and I could do something for her.   As a former model with the same agency Issy used to be with I wanted to help her out.
We did a couple hour shoot.  We connected on Facebook but really didn't talk to often.  Issy was 16 at the time.

When Issy was 17, I contacted her when I was doing a modeling contest with another photographer. I told her the prize was a new photo shoot.   She took first place and her boyfriend took 2nd place so I suggested a fun relationship shoot which I knew Issy needed in her book.



Issy is now 18 graduates this year and for the first time she will be in Ohio this summer so we have already planned a fun shoot for July. I was also able to introduce her to someone who I work for who has offered her some modeling work if I am shooting her.

Models are everywhere it is just a matter of opening your eyes and letting people know that you would love to shoot them!  I can't wait to start my internship in May as I have about 54 new models on my football team to start using too!

Good luck and happy scouting!

Jessi

Comments/Questions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!