Friday, April 10, 2015

The Journey to Internship

                                                  The flyer the Silverhawks made for me.

As the Semi-Pro Football Season is about to start here in Ohio so is my internship as the Photographer for the Jackson Silverhawks.  Officially my internship starts on May 14th and ends July 29th however I will already be doing some work with the team starting this weekend.  It struck me that the journey to my internship as well as the time I spend as an intern could be an interesting series for the Friday blogs.

So the first part of the process is how did I end up with this really cool internship. It is a process that I started as soon as I started at AI in 2013.  I knew I wanted an internship.  Before starting at AI I had taken a photograph class at our local zoo and met a wonderful photographer who pointed out to me how many great groups we have in Ohio for photographers.    I took another class at our local library where I met another photographer who pointed me to a few more groups. Both introduced me to some wonderful people who were willing to help me on my photographic journey.

The one thing that I started to see is how important connections can be when you start looking for an internship.  I didn't just have one internship offer I had several. So my work at networking gave me the chance to pick the internship that was right for me.

I actually met the Jackson Silverhawks last year.  I had seen an ad from a photographer on Craigslist that was looking to network with other photographers.  I contacted him and we talked a bit online. He mentioned to me that he shot Semi-Pro football and he was looking for a second shooter.

Here is a secret. I didn't love sports. Hilariously I was captain of my own school's Pep Club and I had to make all the hoops for our football team to run through but I was clueless. I held the hoop and I went home.  However, I never turn down the chance to shoot something new.  I always say you will never know what you truly love to shoot if you haven't learned what you hate to shoot. So I told that photographer I'd love to be his second shooter.  He offered me a small amount of money but I mostly cared about the experience.

I met the other photographer in person at the first game.  He gave me a few tips about shooting but pretty much just let me shoot and learn by shooting.  He then quit and I suddenly became the first and only shooter for the team.  I told the Owner I would stand by him for this season.  I shoot through the summer.  It was definitely a learning process where sometimes I did great and other times I wish I had done better.  I shot not only my team but the other teams we played.  I gave the other players access to tag themselves in my pictures.

At the end of the season the team owner mentioned me considering doing an internship for him the next year. I told him I would think about it because I knew his current coach was leaving with most of the team so I didn't know what the teams status would be next year.

With in a week of the season ending, I had 4 different teams ask me to be their photographer for the next year.  I ended up accepting the paid internship offered to me to stay with the Jackson Silverhawks.  I was grateful to the team for giving me the chance.  Had I not been given the chance I never would have learned I love sports photography. The team owner and I have a lot of great ideas for this season and I can't wait to slowly share them all with you guys.  I will also show how he is helping to promote my website and Facebook page as well.

Next week I'll talk about the actual process of applying for an internship once you have someone who offers you one.  I look forward to hearing your questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!