Wednesday, April 8, 2015

New Wednesday Ambassador Introduction

Hello everyone.


I just wanted to use this first post as an introduction. My name is Denzil Ernstzen and I am going to be the your new Ambassador Wednesday for the next year. I appreciate the opportunity and I hope you get some really great information from these blogs.


My background is as a financial controller. I got my first two degrees in South Africa. My first was in education, a bachelors in Physical Education. I really did not want to teach at that early stage of my life, so I decided to go into the retail industry. While working in a grocery store as a shelf packer I got my Quantitative Management degree. Basically a degree working with numbers. I then spent the next 10 years working for a large hotel chain in South Africa installing inventory control systems for all their food and beverage outlets. I got to travel the country and the world before I met my wife and decided to emigrate to the United States.


I have being here for about 9 years now and we have lived in Fort Worth Texas,  Charlottesville Virginia and now we are back to New England from where we started. I have two beautiful, active, energetic and inquisitive boys who keep me busy as my full-time day job. I also work part-time, three nights a week and recently, “about 2 years ago”, I also started my own Wedding and Portrait business. You can find my listing at http://ernstzenphotography.com


As you can see I am a busy person and I still have to make sure I get all my course work done as well.


I know what it feels like when we get started and having being new once, I know what it feels like trying to navigate through all the different requirements for class postings,lighting, shooting, finding models and believe it or not, thinking about what your final portfolio is going to look like towards the end of your degree. And you have to all of this while still making sure life happens around you.


So if you are just starting your Associates or Bachelors, one thing I can give you right now is to you start thinking about what your genre would eventually be. I just finished Portfolio Exploration PH341, and I thought I had enough photographs and that I knew which direction I wanted to go;  I was not even in the same ballpark. We will get into more of that much later.


Well don’t let me scare you because I want you to come back and I want you to recommend me to everybody in your class. This is a great place to get information and share your photographs. Let me know if you want feedback or what we can help with?  I love communicating with students and to those who know me from my interaction in class they can vouch for me when I say that I will respond to any comment or question you might have. I am here to help. If I do not know the answer I will find it for you and you will get a response. So feel free to ask me anything.


Here are two photographs that I took in my first few months after starting my course. They were both from my first portrait class. The first is me having fun with my son as I was trying to figure out how to work a remote control for my camera and the the second is a self portrait. It is a rather serious portrait because I tried to mimic the front cover of the Times magazine.


It had a portrait of the late Steve Jobs on the front cover. I know it is a very serious portrait, but the fun story is that I had to figure out how to operate my remote for the camera, position the lens so I was not chopped off at the head and then when I readjusted, at the neck. I had to get my lighting correct with my strobes (as I am sure many of you can vouch) it is not easy when you are working on your own. Oh, I almost forgot, the strobe reflection in the glass lens. How do you cut that out? I will let you know in another blog post.


I like these because you remember the first photographs and the stories behind them about when you took them and what you were doing  when you get started with your course. I was excited and enthusiastic and these are the same images that drive me today. I want to make them better. I want to become a better photographer.  Everyday I want to learn something new. So don't delete your bad photographs. Use them as your inspiration and I guarantee you will get better every single day, if you just keep on shooting.


Father and son.


Denzil Profile- Test-3.jpg
(© Photographs by Denzil Ernstzen)


So keep on shooting.

Denzil

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!