Thursday, September 12, 2013

Ode to My Friend


Saturday Ambassador

Pursuing a degree is an important step toward a brighter future, but it can be a stressful and challenging endeavor, as well – particularly when it is coupled with a full-time job or other responsibilities. As students, we rely upon family and friends for support, both physical and emotional, and it is this that provides the delicate balance that helps us to succeed.
I've been an OTR truck driver for 13 years. My job keeps me away from home for weeks at a stretch and comes with its own unique set of stresses and challenges. For the past 4 years, I've been hauling lighting equipment, camera gear and props, along with the customer's freight; I've been obliged to approach complete strangers in the small hours of the morning and ask them to model for me, as well as creating fabulously realistic production sets in a remarkably small space. In the process, I've learned to be resourceful, patient and extremely creative.
12 ½ years ago, my employer paired me with a co-driver based upon geographical location. Over the subsequent years, he and I have explored every corner of this country, utilizing the travel inherent to the profession to enrich our lives. When time permitted, we visited museums, national and state parks, rivers, lakes, forests, deserts and all the myriad wonders which piqued our curiosity. In the process of indulging our shared interests, we became close friends. For the last four years, my friend Walt has been model, assistant and hole-in-the-fence-finder. He has also been my inspiration when I'm out of ideas, produced solutions when everything was going wrong, bolstered my confidence when it was flagging and lent me the emotional strength to pursue my dreams under the some of the most challenging circumstances I've ever encountered.
Today, my friend is being medically retired for a problem that may or may not exist. The transportation industry is one of the most highly-regulated in the nation, and the mere hint of any disorder that might preclude the safe operation of the vehicle will place the driver out of service.
This is an ode to my friend: Thank you for being my inspiration; the help you provided, the challenges you posed and the patience you have shown have made me a better photographer and a better person. Your sense of humor has been every bit as valuable an asset as your advice. I cannot imagine how you tolerated my presence when my temper flared out of frustration, but I'm glad you did. All the projects we engaged and everything we accomplished has contributed to my success, and I owe a great deal of that to your efforts. Above all else, thank you for being my friend.

 




~Saturday Ambassador

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!