Friday, September 6, 2013

How Big Is That Thing?



Saturday Ambassador

As photographers, we know that creating great art is not as simple as snapping a few pictures of your subject and you're done. We survey our subjects for exemplary features and hidden possibilities. We explore all the angles and apply creative lighting. We capture the details and choose our camera settings carefully to exemplify that which intrigued us about the scene in the first place. Sounds complicated, doesn't it? Who knew art could be so much work!
A recent expedition of mine reminded me of a few other variables which can separate the ordinary photographer from the extraordinary. I love nature and I travel frequently; these types of images often attract my attention, and one thing I encounter is issues of scale. When you photograph an object, will the viewer instantly understand how large or small it is? If you are the photographer creating travel brochures, this could be important.
 
Tonto Natural Bridge, photographer unknown

 
This image is a lovely view of this natural formation which achieves depth through perspective, is dimensional because there is a contrasting ratio of light and shadow, demonstrates texture via the angle and intensity of the light and is aesthetically pleasing for its use of the thirds rule and the interesting composition. It is used by the Park Service to promote the Tonto Natural Bridge State Park in Arizona. But, how big is it? Should I travel hundreds of miles to see this hole? Is it really that interesting?
Tonto Natural Bridge, Deva Mayorga-Malone, 2013, HDR Composite

 
I considered this dilemma when I photographed the natural bridge and resolved the issue by including people in the shot. My instinct when photographing nature is to exclude all things man made, but this is an exceptional circumstance. In my image, the trees could be shrubs, but we all know the general proportions of people. Therefore, they make a great tool to demonstrate the scale of this momentous natural aperture.
I stopped at this park because I was in the area with time on my hands. Although the promotional image is technically correct and visually appealing, I'm not sure it would have enticed me to drive 100 miles to view it. As it turned out, it was well worth the drive and the hike required to get there. As a photographer, however, this is certainly something to consider.
~Saturday Ambassador
*Tonto Natural Bridge State Park is located on AZ highway 87, north of Payson.
Source:
Diaz, Mimi. "Geologic Mysteries". Arizona State Parks. N.d. Web. September 6, 2013. <http://azstateparks.com/parks/tona/feature.html>

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!