Monday, June 24, 2013

Who's On First? Or How to Write Your Introduction

Who’s On First?



Or How to Write Your Introduction


You open the classroom on Day 1 and realize your first assignment is to write an introduction.  If it is your first time your maybe feel quite anxious (kind of like the baseball player above).  If it is your twentieth time you may feel like, "Oh that again."  Today we all enter new classes and are presented with an opportunity to introduce ourselves to the Instructor and class members.

I recommend this basic formula:

1.       Your name, family information, location and something currently going on in your life.
Example:  Hi! My name is ****. My husband **** live in the “little Dutch village” of *****, **** with our ten children (yes, I said ten, same two parents, still married and still sane). We have six girls and four boys, ages 19, 18, 15, 14, 13, 11, 8, 6, 3, and turning 1 next week. And we have a dog.   We are in the midst of baseball and softball season which means 5 children playing on 8 different teams.

2.      Your educational and/or work experience. 
Example: I have a BA in Communication with a Sociology minor that I received the traditional, straight out of high school way.  I then did all the coursework for a MA in Communication, but unfortunately did not complete a thesis.  I am now adding an Associate’s Degree in Photography to my resume as I work on re-entering the work force after 20 years of full time Home Manager.

3.       Address anything specifically asked for in the instructions.
Example: Public speaking and photography are two things I have been doing about as long as I can remember.  I feel that I have a lot to offer by combining my degrees and talents.  Having said that, I am still working to find my true voice and style in photography. The things I most enjoy shooting are sporting events, nature, and people in life. 

4.     A closing comment.
Example: I have scanned through the class readings and assignments and am super excited to learn more!

5.   Your signature:
Use a font that is fitting for you and will help the instructor and class remember you.

I also recommend writing your posts in Word then copying them to the classroom. This allows you to edit and add individual touches to your posts and signature.

You only get one chance to make a first impression – make it great!

Good luck in your new classes and remember we are here to help you in any way as Student Ambassadors!

It’s just another Manic Monday …..
~Monday Ambassador

Photo by Lisa Kay Images, lisakayimages.blogspot.com