Friday, June 28, 2013

Buy All the Apps?


When I started out with my first online course here, I immediately began looking for ways to integrate my phone into my schooling. Something dawned on me pretty quickly; apps cost money, which is some that I find pretty scarce in my wallet these days. So my goal is to spare you some time and hopefully money with as many free apps as possible. Here are the five apps I find most useful whenever I’m away from my desktop studying.

·         Dropbox. You probably have an account since most of our classes use it for sending .zip files and such. I back up all my current assignments and documents so I can grab them anywhere. This app is invaluable, and it’s free. Get it.
·         Pages. $9.99 There is a ridiculous amount of document and word processor apps on the market, most of which aren’t worth the money. This one is Apple’s contribution, and in a crunch I bought it. It is one of the few that have font styles/sizes and text alignment, but it lacks a Tab button (like all the others I’ve tried). It does let you export documents to other apps including Dropbox, and it even gives the option of saving as PDF or Word. It’s been worth the ten bucks so far.
·         Evernote. A note maker and organizer, slick feel and cool sliding tabs. Organize notes into notebooks and tag location to a note. The app is free, but without a $5 monthly subscription, say adieux to offline note viewing, PDF search, and other things no one should have to pay for.
·         iCabMobile. $1.99 This web browser is definitely worth every penny. The main feature is that the app lets you access full websites on the iPhone, instead of being sent directly to the mobile version of the site. Since the mobile Ai Online site is still pretty young, this app is good for reading course lectures and the like on the full site. The only downside is the site won’t allow posting from the full site on a mobile.
·         Adobe Acrobat. Acrobat has an app, and it’s free. Have I said enough? This is the best mobile PDF reader and editor I have found. Dropbox importing and exporting seals the deal for me.

I’m currently searching for a replacement app for Evernote, so if you guys have a suggestion for that or anything else, just comment. If you have a question about online classrooms, Connections, etc. ask away and I’ll do my best.

Hey, Happy Friday guys!

Yours Truly,

                Friday



Keith Kelley. Untitled. 16 Dec 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!