Thursday, May 21, 2015

Week 1 - Internship - Loyalty and Not my job!


Let the fun begin - final full practice before the Season starts.


So first of all I can truly say I survived week 1 of my internship! It was a bit of an unexpected bumpy first week caused by rain and a few unexpected twists within in the team this week.  I'll be first to say if there hadn't been unexpected twists I might get bored. I love the unexpected challenges that drive other people crazy.  I love impossible odds and embrace change! Yes..you can think it that girl is CRAZY! I think that often it is surviving that fire of any unexpected challenge is what makes us stronger photographers! It teaches you to think on your feet!  Which leads me to this week's post.

The first two days I expected to shoot - weather got in my way! I had hoped to not shoot at the Sunday practice simply because I had plans to shoot a fun horse event up in Cleveland.  However, it didn't work out that way so I shot at practice on Sunday.  

Our practice field was taken so the team had to play someplace where the grass was more than a little bit too long.  I won't lie I loved it! (Sorry guys - I know it was hard to play in).  It made for fun creative shots that I won't have a chance to shoot again.  I won't lie I had a lot of fun looking for some fun angles that made it look worse like the one below.

Making the best of an unexpected playing field trying to not get lost in the grass.

These weren't ideal shooting or playing conditions but sometimes you have to go with the flow and make the best of the situation.  In my case I had fun shooting funny shots like this one.

The biggest issues of the week involved the loss of   some team members and fundraising.  I actually almost spent more time this week trying to brainstorm fundraisers because of deficits that our unexpectedly small team has caused. While trying to make sure our team has the best year and best field possible we realized we would need to do some fundraising to help our goals.

The question that might come to mind is why as a photographer is it my job to help with that? I did my job I showed up. I took pictures. 

I have yet to ever work with any client where the job was clear cut like that! When you shoot weddings you play wedding planner helping keep the bride from being stressed out.  You are sometimes the shoulder to cry on if something doesn't go right.  In fashion you might be making clothing work with pins, clips, whatever you can find!  The point is your job isn't just to hold a camera and you need to  be prepare to embrace that as an intern.  Your main focus will be to use your camera in most jobs that you do but that doesn't mean you won't be wearing multiple hats too.

I am supposed to be on vacation in June.  I have the privilege of helping to shoot a very important to me cake smash session.  I agreed to help my other friend who is a make up artist / hair stylist with a shoot or two while I was in town.  I loaned out my daughter as a model.  Even though I am acting as a photographer while on vacation when I realized she also needed another model, I agreed to step in.  You never know what will be asked of you when you are "just shooting".  You have to be ready to forget the words even mentally "that's not my job". Your job is anything that makes it easier for you when it is time to pick up your camera.

As I though over the loss of a few of our players this week it brought me to the other thing I learned this week - loyalty. There will always be something out there that looks better on paper than what you have.  If you are a music photographer that might be wanting to shoot the big shows. So it can look good when you have a chance to help assist another photographer at a big show.  However, if you are contracted already to shoot some local bands what does that really say about you if you go shoot the big show.  Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture. The choices that we make in our careers will stay with us for life.  Sometimes it is best to earn your place in your given genre.  Start out shooting the smaller venues and move up to bigger venues as your skills grow.  When the bigger venues look back they will notice if you are a team player and how loyal you were to the the last person you worked for.  They will notice if you do choose to leave and move on to a better situation   how you ended your relationship with your last client or employer.  Did you leave the right way?  No one may comment at the time, but that doesn't mean they will not notice and not hire you if they are afraid you will leave the next time something better comes along.

If you commit to something commit to it 100%.  Even if you see it won't work out to be the perfect situation you had hoped for you will be able to have pride in yourself for seeing your commitment til the end.  As an intern this is an important lesson to learn before you do have something better offered to you and you have to make a snap decision.

So in closing I just wish our leaving team members well on their new teams and wish them a great season this year! It was great to get to be part of your careers.  I do truly hope to see each of you reach your true potential.  It has been nice to see how well this team has worked together to help each other be better players.  

This shot seemed metaphoric as we can't see who is left to catch this ball.

This week in class we are looking at Time Management and learning to multitask and prioritize. Both of these are important to learn as photographers and as busy students.  

Next week the team doesn't have practice and the formal pictures were put off due to the holidays. Upcoming we have a youth camp and formal pictures as we regroup and prepare for our season to start.

I hope you enjoyed the view of week 1.  I look forward to your thoughts!

Jessi



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!