Friday, May 29, 2015

Internship Week # 2 - Making Connections


RC Bronco's Helmet 


While I shoot for the Jackson Silverhawks we had a weeks down time.  I didn't want to waste a week not shooting for my internship.  I contacted one of the other teams that had asked me to shoot for them this year who is in a different Semi-Pro League.  I helped them obtain their photographer Tonya who is one of my best friends. I asked if it would be OK for me to help Tonya shoot the Bronco vs. Storm game since I was off on Saturday.  Their owner Jimmy told me I was welcome to shoot any game for them that I wanted. 

While I'm not going to go into the details there have been some issues with my team the Silverhawks that the team is trying to work out.  In the off chance the team can't work out the problems I needed to think what I could do to save my internship. Several teams and organizations have offered to step in and help taking over my internship if something were to happen to my team.  Since  3 of these parties would be at this particular game it was a good way to do a bit of investigating to see which of the 3 might be a good fit for me if a new organization is needed. 

Most of the coaches and players on the Summit County Storm are well known to me as 3/4 of the team or  were all part of last year's Silverhawk team.  While the Broncos do have a photographer at this point the Storm does not have one full time.  The Storm is actually the first team that asked me to shoot this year however we failed to make a deal in a timely manner which is how I ended up shooting for the Silverhawks instead.  I do know the Storm is willing to work with me as an intern.

After shooting side by side for awhile Tonya and I elected to split the field. She stayed on her teams's side and I   shot on the side of the Storm. I was shooting both teams equally since the Storm had asked me if I would be shooting and indicated the person who normally helps them with photography had to do videography. I always shoot both teams at every game and share pictures. It is one of the reasons that I was asked to shoot for 5 teams this year. The players actually asked their coaches to try to get me as their team photographer. Networking with the players and the coaches are good ways to make connections at this level.

We freely share images on Facebook for the teams to share digital images from the games.  I sometimes joke I think there are more football players on my Social Media sites than friends or family. It is a good way to get more traffic to your Facebook page as well too.

The Bronco's Fame Brown captures the ball and lands at my feet as I backed up towards the sidelines to get the shot.

Images like this that are often my favorite shots but surprisingly they are not the shots the players share! They like to raze the other teams pointing out who pushed whom, or who took the other player down.  

Earlier today one player posted an image that had 8 images - 4 of mine and 4 of Tonya's posted back and forth in the discussion.  Not only were teams that knew me in this discussion but players that I didn't know from different teams.  This is a great way to get my name out so that when this season is over I again can pick the team that I really want to shoot for.  I like to see which shots the players like best so I can make sure at the next game to try to get a few more of those types of shots

This type of shot is something the players are more likely to like 

Everything you do as an intern has the ability to define your future. So do the other photographers in this field who you meet.  

Tonya and I weren't the only photographers on the field that Saturday.  The show Saturday Showdown was shooting video and photography.  Their photographer Jennifer quickly introduced herself to me and between shots we were able to discuss many ideas and photographers.  Jennifer and I exchanged contact information.  

The owner of Saturday Showdown is Wally.  Wally had asked me about doing some work with him on his show earlier in the season but I was already under contract. Jennifer introduced me to her boss Wally who remembered our conversation.  He and I talked for awhile and he discussed getting some of my work seen by a larger audience. He told me several places I could get some of my Semi-Pro shots seen.  He asked me to make sure to give him a call so we could talk about a few things later. Wally has indicated to me he would gladly take me on as an intern if I would need to change from the Silverhawks.

Later in the day Jennifer introduced me to another photographer Bryan. We talked about the types of photography that we shoot. Bryan asked me if I ever did any 2nd shooting especially for weddings and I told him that I did. He also runs a photo booth for weddings.  He gave me his card and we exchanged information.

One of the most important things to remember is to follow up with your connections! 

It doesn't help to meet people or collect their cards and never do anything with the information! I made sure to add all 3 new contacts to my Social Media sites.  I followed up with a conversation with both team owners and the owner of Saturday Showdown.  

At the end of the day it is your internship. You can do the bare minimum  you can to get by or you can really make it into something strong!


Going into week 3  we are discussing Phone Etiquette and Listening Skills.

The Silverhawks are hosting a youth camp on Saturday and Sunday night. I'm looking forward to getting some great shots of the kids.  Right now we are scheduled to get storms so hopefully it will even out.

If you have any questions so far about being an intern or anything else please let me know! 

Have a great Friday!

Jessi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!