Friday, May 8, 2015

Part 2 - Final steps in Applying for an Internship.

We took a little break last week so I could clarify something about the internship application process.  As it turned out there was a glitch with my paperwork! I wouldn't have realize that if I hadn't been writing this blog for all of you! So I'll clarify the mix up which I doubt you would run into since it was a bit of a freak accident.  (No worries it has been cleared up!)

Step 3 - Your Return Email from the Photography Internship Adviser

Shortly you will receive and email back for your Photography Adviser letting you know if it sounds like your internship will be approved.  The internship guidelines and next steps are reviewed as a reminder.

Here are the next steps and the guidelines!

1.  Find out when you can start.


The Silverhawks run at Football Camp 2015

You have to find out from your your Adviser or Financial Aid Adviser  when the start date of your 11 week billing cycle that falls the closest to your project start day of the internship.

This to me is the most important part! 

 My 11 week cycle date starts on May 14th and it ends on July 29th.  The Semi Pro-game season starts on June 6th and goes until August 2nd unless we make playoffs.  If I hadn't worked with my adviser to figure out my start date correctly and I thought I could start on June 6th I could have missed my chance to take this internship. As the next 11 week cycle date inn't until July 30th and I would have missed almost the entire season.

The question you might ask is what am I going to do during the first few weeks of my internship.  As you know I actually started shooting weeks ago.  I have several different things I will be shooting. I don't want to give out all the details in advance but we are working at making photography something special for our team this year since I'm doing my internship.  Would it have been a problem if I couldn't shoot or didn't have something worked out?

Not exactly.  It all depends on how you and your employer work it out.  The class lasts for 11 weeks. During hat time you have to put in 110 hours or on averaged of 10 hours a week.  If for some reason I couldn't shoot on one of those weeks and your employer didn't have work for you yet that is something that can be worked out as long as you put in your hours later in your internship.  If you are worried about that you can discuss it with the Photography Internship Adviser.


2.  Let your adviser know you are approved so that she can take the next steps required for your internship class.

The Photography Internship Adviser will ask you to let your adviser know you are approved he or she can take the next steps required for your internship.  About 4-5 weeks before the internship is supposed to begin you will be doing paperwork with the Internship Adviser.


Step 4 - Reviewing your approval with your adviser.

Once you speak with your adviser your adviser will either offer to keep track of when the next steps needs to be  done or ask you to keep track.  In my case my adviser offered to keep track of when we needed to take the next step.

In my case I had an adviser change so I actually brought up my internship to my new adviser. She confirmed everything was handled and scheduled me into the internship class.  At this point I thought everything was handled and only realized while writing this blog to you there was an error.   I had never filled out any paperwork with the Photography Internship Adviser.  Which leads me to Step 5.


                                              Step 5- Filling out your paperwork

This was just a slight clerical error but I want to give you guys the steps so it won't happen to you.   4 or 5 weeks out contact the Photography Internship Adviser if you haven't been contacted.  The adviser will send you paperwork to fill out about your internship and a list of rules to make sure you are successful in your internship.

                                                  Here are the some sample questions
  • Brief overview of the company you will be interning for.
  • Overview of the job you will be doing.
  • Overview how this job relates to my major.
The other questions were about your schedule of work.  Any pay that you would be receiving, and your proposed end and start dates.

The paperwork is filled out with contact information for your employer.  You sign your contract stating you understand the terms of your internship.

                                       Step 6- Paperwork is sent to your Employer

Your employer will be sent an email with paperwork for them to fill out.  I was copied on this email.  It also stated that later on time sheets and other paperwork would be sent over as well.

Step 7- Your adviser schedules your Internship Class

We finally made it to the end of the line! When your adviser is told all the paperwork is in or possibly when the proposal is sent to you in Step 5 your adviser will get you scheduled in your internship class.


As I go through all the issues that arise during my internship I will be sharing them with you.  If you think of any questions that you have along the way be sure to ask! It can be about anything related to the internship, shooting sports, or any related topic that strikes you! I would love to see us get into some great discussions!


           Getting ready for Game time.  I'm ready for the 2015 season let's hope the team is too!


I look forward to sharing this journey with you!

Jessi



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!