Friday, June 6, 2014

What a Difference Experience Makes!

No matter how many weddings I shoot, I get the same nerves today that I got the very first time I interned as a second shooter. The day before, I meticulously look over my checklist again and again, making sure all batteries are charged and lenses are clear. Because I am naturally anxious (thanks, genetics), even knowing that all my equipment is prepped is not enough to calm the nerves! When all else fails, it helps at least a little to look back at my early work to see how far my work has come.

On the left you'll see a shot from my very first wedding. Luckily I was second shooter, because check out those blown-out highlights - eek! While it is a sweet enough pose, the positioning of the couple could have been far better (just a few feet to the left for a fully green backdrop and a little more space over his head) and the moment a little less stiff overall.


Fast forward a few years to a recent wedding. The photo on the right is so much more natural, properly exposed, and shot with a far better lens! The framing has more interest and shows off the location (which the couple selected for a reason - it was gorgeous!). This was a moment in between poses, when the couple was laughing and enjoying themselves instead of worrying about where to put their hands or how real their smiles looked. Viewing these images the day before a wedding reminds me how far I've come and at least helps me beat a few nerves to get some sleep!

Before you trash those old photos that no longer reflect your capabilities, put a few in a folder that you can look back on when you start to doubt yourself or turn into a big ball of nerves. Whether it's a commercial shot with amateurish lighting or a super stiff portrait cut off at the wrists, be proud that you have learned from your mistakes and remember that we've all made them!

It would be so fun to see some side-by-sides of your "then and now" examples. If you have any to share, head on over to the PSPN Google+ page to show how much you've grown as a photographer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!