Sunday, June 8, 2014

Sunday Spotlight On: Why $35 can save you a lot of headache!

Becoming a photographer has been fun and rewarding. Every time I pick up my camera I feel proud of what I create and to know that I created it is even more satisfying. Registering your images with the U.S. Copyright Office is like wiping the sweat off your brow. It is the smartest move that a photographer can make to ensure that he or she is protected against the nuances of infringement.

I am not sure about you, but I know that I do not have the money to hire an attorney to fight on my behalf because someone was using my images without my permission. Four times a year I register my images with the U. S. Copyright Office and that gives me a sense of security.

I will admit that the process of registering images may be lengthy and sometimes confusing, but there are tutorials out there that can walk you through the process step by step. American Society of Media Photographers as well as Professional Photographers of America both offers guidance on how to register your images.




There are two ways to file with the Copyright Office:

Electronically is the quickest and cheapest method. A payment of $35 is required and your images are immediately registered!


Hard Copy is sending the images on a disk in the mail. Payment is $65 and your images will not be registered until they receive the disk.

Regardless of the method, I cannot stress the importance of securing your works of art. Make sure that you take all precautions to prevent infringement and know your rights as a photographer!

I am your Sunday Funday Ambassador! Happy Shooting! 




Mantler, Jeffrey H. "Be Copyright Smart: Why and How to Register Images." Professional Photographers of America. 2014. Web. 7 June 2014. <http://www.ppa.com/membership/article.cfm?ItemNumber=3058>


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!