Thursday, June 26, 2014

How to shoot Lightning.

So this week I wanted to talk about shooting lightning. Its that time of year where we start to get the right weather to create lighting. The first and foremost important thing is to realize that lightning can be a great thing to capture it is also dangerous. You want to make sure that you take the right steps to protect yourself and your gear. Some of the very obvious things you don’t want to do are stand under a tree. Use an umbrella. Some other info I found was:
    Avoid putting yourself above the surrounding landscape. Seek shelter in low-lying areas such as valleys, ditches and depressions but be aware of flooding.
    Stay away from water. Don't go boating or swimming if a storm threatens, and get to land as quickly as possible if you are already on the water. Lightning can strike the water and travel a substantial distance from its point of contact.
    Stay away from objects that conduct electricity, such as tractors, golf carts, golf clubs, metal fences, motorcycles, lawnmowers and bicycles.
    Avoid being the highest point in an open area.Swinging a golf club, or holding an umbrella or fishing rod can make you the tallest object and a target for lightning.
    You are safe inside a car during lightning, but be aware of downed power lines which may be touching your car. You are safe inside the car, but you may receive a shock if you step outside.
    In a forest, seek shelter in a low-lying area under a thick growth of small trees or bushes.
    Keep alert for flash floods, sometimes caused by heavy rainfall, if seeking shelter in a ditch or low-lying area.

As far as equipment you need a tripod, camera remote (I prefer wireless) a good rain cover. In my bag you will find:
Rokinon 14mm on my D600 with Rain sleeve


Nikon D600, Rokinon 14mm F2.8, Phottix Aion Wireless Remote, Induro CT314 Tripod, and Optech Rain shelve.

As far as setting go I set my ISO to 100 and my shutter to bulb with a F stop of F/5- F/11 The reason I set the camera to bulb it I let my Phottix Aion remote do all the work, I can set it up so that it shoots 30 seconds at a time for as many shots that I set up. I usually start with 100 shots. I set the camera up and then raise the ISO to about 500 and open the shutter for about 10 seconds just to give me an idea of how the scene will look once exposed. If I like it then I bring the ISO back down to 100 and then hit the play button on the remote and it starts triggering the camera. Out of 100 shots I’m lucky if I get 3 good images sometimes its none. There is no way to cover every viewing direction so you have to set the camera up and hope that its pointing in the right spot. To get this right I would use your judgment and look at radar to see what direction the storm is travelling. If you need to you could always change your cameras view and then reset the remote to start shooting again. I hope this helps some that are struggling with capturing Lightning. Please post your images in the Google Plus page I would love to see them.















TBT

Thursday Ambassador







 Works Cited:
"How to Photograph Lightning, From Start to Finish." PetaPixel RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 June 2014. <http://petapixel.com/2013/04/10/how-to-photograph-lightning-from-start-to-finish/>.
"Lightning Safety." Government of Canada, Environment Canada. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 June 2014. <http://www.ec.gc.ca/foudre-lightning/default.asp?lang=En&n=159F8282-1>.



Bag Links
Rain Sleeve:

Phottix Aion Wireless Timer And Shutter Release

Rokinon 14mm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!