Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Wide-Angle Wednesday: Invest in yourself and maximize your return


Corina Scoggins March 2014
Spring has arrived in the Ozarks


Invest in yourself. Never sell yourself short on dreams that you know you truly want. It is easy to forget that the most coveted things are not easily attained. Go beyond what may seem like your limits and you will succeed in maximizing your return.
-Unknown





Good Day PSPN
I like to first apologize for my missing in action this past Wednesday. The day prior I had a last minute surgery that for the most part was in and out and left me feeling well until Wednesday morning. It’s been a week of recovery and all is well again.

With that said, today I would like to talk about assignment critiques. As online students our main outlet of communication is based on critiquing our peers work in discussion threads. At first I thought that I would have no problem critiquing because I love to write and talk. Then I realized that writing a critique is not as easy as I thought. There are a couple of aspects one must keep in mind, after all discussion should not be viewed as just a requirement.

I believe the first hurdle we must overcome is being receptacle to constructive criticism as individuals. We all want to believe that our work is the best, and for the most part it is your best at that moment. The goal in attending school is to learn, and ultimately earn a degree in the field of photography. The first time I heard the term “constructive criticism” was in a high school career class. In order to understand the term we must first define what constructive criticism is all about.

The dictionary defines “constructive criticism” as the following:
“Criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions.”
Corina Scoggins March 2014
Reaching for the sky
Normally the instructor has provided a set of discussion guidelines within the assignment or course. I like to reference the guidelines in writing critiques so that I don’t miss the talking points for the assignment. In the past year I have enjoyed instructors who post video critiques. Being our classroom is a virtual workspace it’s hard to gauge peers and instructor response when we’re not physically in front of one another. This makes writing an honest critique even harder. The videos allow us to hear the temperament of the voice and to visually receive constructive criticism. Remember the definition states “criticism or advice is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions.”  Writing is a challenge to convey a message through words. One must think about the words they write and to how those reading may perceive these words.

The general rule is to write a positive, then provide any advice, and end on a positive. In high school we had the DAIJ rule when writing critiques. DAIJ represents “Description, Analysis, Interpretation, Judgment”. www.twistedtextiles.com has a great explanation using the DAIJ rule titled “How to: critique artwork like a pro”. Following this rule will help anyone in writing quality critiques.

The goal in this blog is to provide resources and inspiration to student’s who may not understand the power of critiques. I get excited when a fellow student has left me a critique only to find “Your pictures are beautiful. Great work and I can’t wait to see more”. In a way I feel cheated but at the same time I also feel the fellow student is selling themselves short. For the amount of money spent to obtain an education, I can’t stress more the importance of quality written critiques.  Be receptive, and provide quality in return. Critiques or constructive criticism is not meant as a means to downgrade a peer’s work. It’s an opportunity to build on the foundation you have come to lay. It’s great practice in verbalizing artistically through writing while in school. Once you’re in the field, the professional eye is upon you. Work the kinks out now, and get the most for the buck.
Corina Scoggins March 2014
Mini Grass Flower


Each week as I sit to write a blog, I to wonder the response the blog will receive. The same goes for the classroom discussion and critiquing. I hope classmates are receptive, and read what is written as a positive step forward. Remember even the greatest of photographers can always improve something in a composition. We are the worst critics of our work, but in the end the only opinion that matters is the clients.


Resources:

Here is your chance to critique my work displayed above. Spring has finally arrived in Missouri, and the flowers have started to bloom. Looking at the images above, what design elements and principals are present? Any recommendations for improvement? Does the images excite any emotion? Is one image more successful than another?

Post your critique below. I look forward to the response and accept the constructive criticism.

From my camera to yours
Corina
Wednesday Student Ambassador

“Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.”
-Peter T. Mcintyre

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!