Friday, April 18, 2014

When Pro Bono Becomes a Problem

Hand-in-hand with the pricing puzzle ("what am I worth?") is the pro bono problem ("when should I shoot for free?"). When people find out you are studying photography, they will often volunteer their children, families, or even events to act as your subject matter. Early in your studies this can be a great boon, but eventually it may very well become a burden. As you gain knowledge and experience you need to charge for your work so you can make a living doing what you love. Of course, there will always be opportunities to share your skills with worthy causes and good friends.

Some professional photographers choose to offer big discounts for friends and family, others charge full price, and still others don't charge a thing. It's important to have an idea of where you need to fall in that spectrum in order to feel good about helping your friends while still making a living. In my case, my friends and family members get a much better rate but only a small number get my services for free. Make sure that when you start charging for your services, people are well aware. Someone whom you've photographed for school projects in the past may not realize that you've gotten to the point in your career that you need to start charging, and that can end up in an awkward situation for both of you.

Something I still find difficult is passing on shoots for non-profit organizations. I dedicate time to giving rescue dogs photo shoots to help them find homes and also shoot certain events for organizations I've built a relationship with over the past few years. If I agreed to provide my services for free every time I was asked, though, I would soon go bankrupt. If you face a similar situation and aren't sure how to say no, I find it best to be totally honest and state that you are honored to be asked but provide your services pro bono to select groups already and cannot afford to assist this time. I'll usually point the person asking in the direction of a local photography school where I know students are looking for event experience as well.

If you want to do what you love full-time, you will need to continually reassess your value and how much pro bono work you can commit to in your schedule. It also helps to have your break-even point in the back of your mind so you can charge a "friend rate" accordingly. Keep those Business worksheets handy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!