Saturday, April 5, 2014

I just don't like it...

Hello Everyone!

So, I am in Photo Criticism class right now, but as some of you know it is really the fifth class in which we are taught to critic art, just with a particular focus on photography. I have to admit that before I began learning to critique art (paintings, photographs, etc..) if I didn't like something, I would simply say, "I just don't like it". There would be no explanation, no real understanding of why.

I had even sadly, misjudged many artists, who before taking these classes, I felt were little more than the cliche of "suffering artists" wanting to do little more than attempt to impress us all with their "pseudo-intellectualism". While I am sure there are those insufferable "artists", I learned just how wrong I was about many artists I had previous notions about.



I had no idea what cubism was, or German expressionism, dadaism, or other such artistic movements. Taking the art history courses gave me a fresh perspective and a new appreciation for the artist, their time, and their form of expression. Learning to critique the art taught me to look deeper into the image itself. Once I started to do this, I discovered a pleasant side-effect. I enjoyed the images more than before.

I started looking at the colors, shapes, lines, forms, in a different way. I started looking to see symmetry, asymmetry, balance, unity, rhythm, weight, all of the things present or not-present within an image. Then I began to ask myself why was something missing, or why was it there? Suddenly, the painting or photograph came to life. I could no longer look at images as just space fillers hung on a wall.



Now, we will certainly each have our own favorite type of art or photography. However, we can learn to appreciate and possibly discover hidden messages with art, even art we never before appreciated. The two biggest lessons I have learned in these classes is this:

1. Art criticism isn't about tearing someone's work down. It is about seeing the art as it was intended to be shared by the artist.

2. Opinions based in ignorance (lack of knowledge) rob the viewer of the full experience of enjoying the artwork he/she is observing.



Take the time to get to know a piece of art, even if at first you don't necessarily enjoy it. Look for the little details, discover it's hidden treasures, and watch it come alive right in front of your eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!