Friday, July 17, 2015

Nearing the finsh line line - Semi Pro Season and Internship

There is just a couple weeks left of my internship and the time has just flown by.  The local Semi-Pro leagues that I work with had an upsetting blow this week. Our commissioner of the two local leagues I shoot, has elected to step down at the end of this season. This does not mean that these leagues won't be in existence next year it just means to be in existence, someone else must take over.

As I have been working with these players and teams for the last few years it makes me a bit bittersweet and worried what will happen next year. So it makes each game that I shoot right now   very important to me.

So here are some of my of my favorite things to shoot when I shoot semi-pro.

When I asked this team to look mean..this is what I got. Love the camaraderie in the Semi-Pro teams.

I sometimes say shooting semi-pro can be a bit of a wild card.  You never exactly know what kind of photographs you are going to get. The mood of the team you are shooting can completely change if they start to lose their game.

I always, always, also make sure I shoot the players children when I can. It is part of their fun memories.  Here is one of my favorites from last week's game.

                                I love it when the players' daughters want to be like their Dad's

I often try to keep in mind that while I have my goals on these types of shoots there are still moments I shouldn't miss while focusing on the game. While the players are having time outs. I always look for other shots I can grab like the one above.  Semi-Pro is rough.  It is hard on the body and it can also be mentally hard. The time the players play can last year or just a single session so I strive to make each moment count.

In looking at my favorite shots at a Semi Pro Game I had to include at least one action shot.  When I first started shooting these were the types of shots I loved the best.  However, now I look at them as if they are just part of the story.  (I'm lying - I love action shots - I just see them differently too).

       Marquelo fools the Spartans and takes off with the ball instead of throwing it.

This week as a mentioned was a rough week for our area of Semi-Pro ball.  There is already a bit of a power struggle with many different people wanting to take over the leagues, start their own leagues and the focus on this season is a bit muddied.  So my final shot shows why I personally shoot Semi Pro and why the players despite many obstacles still choose to play Semi-Pro.

 I actually refused to turn around and see what the player I had just teased was doing behind my back.

Ultimately semi-pro is supposed to be like this. It is supposed to be fun. It should be a friendly competition between guys who just love to play ball. To often you don't see that and it can become a bit disheartening as an intern.  However, every blue moon you get lucky and you get to see a game like this. A game where the teams had mutual respect for each other and could just have fun together.

Ok and maybe it didn't hurt that I got to shoot two former NFL players.

     Former Pittsburgh Steeler and Carolina Panther Mortty Ivy and Coach Keith Williams.

Sometimes even in the middle of an internship you have to stop and figure out what you love about what you are doing in your internship. There will always be challenges as you work with other photographers, videographers and owners who have a different creative voice than you do. Sometimes something about their vision or view point will really drive you crazy.  My word of advice is stay call and regroup. Stop and look at what you love about your internship. I promise it will truly help you.

I look forward to hearing what you do to stay focused.

Jessi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!