Friday, July 10, 2015

Internship Update

As you have noticed there has been a slight pause in my discussion of my internship.  My team the Jackson Silvehawks had so many injuries that they had to fold for the rest of this season so the team could heal up.  One of our final games was actually a historic loss of 106 - 0. You may see some footage on ESPN about it as they asked for the video.

I am still doing my internship, but have switched for working for Saturday Showdown a local Semi Pro tv show. We didn't have a game last week due to the holiday and so far our season in Ohio has been brought to you by rain.  (Which by the way, this can make for fun pictures, if you aren't playing on AstroTurf).


One of the Summit County Storm players at practice falls right into a large puddle losing the ball.

When I ended my internship with the Jackson Silverhawks I actually had 4 different offers on where to continue my internship.  This is  the reason that I kept in contact with other Semi Pro teams. There were hints of problems with my team this season and I wanted it to be an easy transition for me so I didn't lose any time trying to find a a new team.  Before I actually even knew my team had folded I was contacted by The Rubber City Broncos, The Summit County Storm, and The Cleveland Cobras. Each team has something unique that could have worked out well for me.

The RC Bronco's does have a regular photographer who happens to be my best friend. So in choosing that team I would have worked with her. The downfall is we would often have the same photographs unless I shot on the opposite side of the field.

The owner of the Cleveland Cobras is a good friend of mine who normally shoots her own team. This might have been a fun one to do as I have only ever worked with male owners. It would have been fun to see how she does things differently. The downfall is her team's home field is up in Perry, OH and about a 2.5 hour drive for me for home games.

Which brings up to the Summit County Storm.  I did originally plan on just shooting the Storm.  The Storm is about 3/4 players I already knew because they were last year Silverhawks. The Coaches also were former Silverhawk Coaches.  The downfall with them was due to the Silverhawks folding for the year they had a schedule that had a lot of farther away games.

In the end I choose Saturday Showdown which was my 4th choice. Working with Saturday Showdown, I get to shoot a variety of teams.  I'm not just shooting the game but helping to do other things that the show needs. I did co-host one show and could be a permanent co-host if I had the time do it ongoing.  We have even talked some about shooting other types of football games after my internship is over.  I felt this was the best situation for me as I could work closer to home and had the most I could learn from them.

                          One of the RC Broncos's Players leaping over the fence for practice.

I have been able so far to shoot some for the Storm, and the Broncos as I'm often able to choose what I want to shoot. I hope that I also get a chance to shoot for the Cobra's before the season is over.

I can't say that my internship hasn't been eventful so far!

There is one thing to keep in mind as you get past week 5.  It really only effects anyone who is going part time as I am.  When you are at 5.5 weeks you will have to add on another class making it like you are going full time for the 2nd half of the internship.  This may not cause a problem in your schedule you just need to be aware of this situation.  If  you don't plan for this situation  even though you are still in the middle of your internship the school / financial aid department  reports you are not actively enrolled in school.  I actually didn't realize I needed to do this until I started getting warnings that loans were going to be due since I wasn't enrolled in class.

It was a bit of a bump in the road as we scrambled to fix this situation. I do recommend if you are shooting heavily for your internship or have a job that you choose a non-shooting class.  While I chose a class that works well with my actual internship it has been hard to get my required shots in with my work schedule.

As always, I look forward to hearing your feed back. (Yes it is OK you can totally freak out of the Silverhawks score.  In the 3 games we played we never scored a single point and lost at least 78 - 0 on every game).

Talk to you soon!

Jessi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!