Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Wide-Angle Wednesday- The lesson outside the classroom

Corina Scoggins "Pulaski County 1909 Courthouse" March 2014
Good Day Everyone!
            Another crazy week of weather here in the Midwest. The local town celebrated the annual RT66 St Patrick’s Day festival on Saturday. We couldn’t ask for a more perfect day of weather. Highs were in the seventies but I spent majority of my time indoors at the Pulaski County Court House museum that is open for a short time on this special day. The museum features the history of the local area and is open on a regular basis from April through October. Though I have visited the museum before, I wanted to shoot some images for an upcoming class assignment. Come to find out the museum suffered flood damage from what historians are calling the 500 year flood last August. The building was built in 1909 and just couldn’t handle the rain and ground saturation. Water crept in along the walls and the ceiling downstairs collapsed.  I was able to shoot a few images but I spent a lot of time talking with the ladies of the historical society about the renovations.

Corina Scoggins "Her Camera Display" March 2014

While chatting with the young ladies, I had mentioned that I was shooting for an assignment. The young lady then lead me upstairs to show me something very special to her. I must say this lady who beat me going up the upstairs is 92 years young! The display she led me to was a three level glass cabinet full of vintage cameras. I would estimate the display had at least fifty cameras, all labeled. Above the display were images of historical homes in the area. Now at first I didn’t know she was the owner of the display let alone the photographer. As she explained the images in terms of lighting and composition, I couldn’t help but ask if she was the photographer. You could see her face light up with great joy and her reply was priceless. She said “You have a camera with so many buttons and technology, I expect it don’t take much to take a picture now days.” I really didn’t know how to respond, so I kept listening.

Corina Scoggins "Flash Powder" March 2014
The conversation lasted a good three hours, but it was time well spent. I didn’t get many images, but what I did get from this visit was worth more to me. In a way she is who I want to be as a photographer. Her work may not be famous, but her work speaks for itself. I asked if we could meet again when the museum opens in April and she said she would be glad to chat more. Do to the large crowd visiting the museum, she was hesitant to open the glass case, but said on my next visit she would love to show me her collection of cameras. I look forward to this opportunity; after all we have to learn from the past in order to create the future.

I have pledged to volunteer in helping the museum get back up to par. I wished I could have brought everyone here to meet this young lady. As you can see I have a few images from the display. She insisted I take photos of certain specific areas of the museum. The upstairs area of the museum is the original county court room. As I shot the image of the US Flag, she made sure that I included the woodwork of the ceiling in the image. The second image she wanted was a picture of the classroom they had recently finished. The courthouse doubled in the past as the schoolhouse when the town was still small.
Corina Scoggins "Courthouse School Room" March 2014

After the beautiful Saturday, we woke up to Sunday temperatures in the teens and four inches of snow. The weekend was a blast, and I’m glad to be able to share. Originally I had something else to write about, but I felt this short story was more important.

As photographers we continue to be inspired in what we do.
What inspires you? Share your story below

Wednesday Student Ambassador
-Corina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!