Saturday, March 8, 2014

What's your message...

Hello Everyone,

Good morning! Maine has finally reached above freezing and it feels like a heat wave. I hope this post finds you well.

I remember, relatively early on in my academic career at AIO being asked in several classes, what's your message / what's your voice? I also remember being very confused by those questions. I didn't know I was supposed to have one, I just wanted to take great images. But, what is it that makes an image great? It's more than sharp focus and good lighting, it's your message, your voice.

What would become more frustrating, is when I thought I had my voice / message / style, I would find out that is was inadequate to what I wanted to communicate. AIO will expose you to many different genres and subsets of photography, and whether you like them or not, doing your best ensures you will always walk away with something. I knew this, but, what does it mean to have your own voice / style / message?



As far as genres go, I have found my strongest voice in Fashion Couture. I feel like I can be most creative, expressive, and in control with that genre. However, simply enjoying Fashion Couture does not mean I have a style, message, or vision. It's what I do within that genre that gives me my voice. It's my lighting scheme, props, backgrounds, post-production effects, even angle and image size that come together to create my voice.

A good solid voice can take years to develop, according to the various Professors I have spoken with about this subject. I am sure that my voice will develop more as I continue in this industry. The reason I mention all of this is because your voice, whatever it is, is your passion. It is what drives you.



Professors don't want to simply see a nice image, they want to see who you are coming through your work. They want to see your love of photography presented in each and every frame. Take for example an assignment where you are asked to capture a certain thing, or a person (whether for fashion, photojournalism, or some other reason). Are you simply taking a snapshot to fulfill the requirements of the assignment, or are you pushing yourself to create the best possible image with each press of your shutter button?

If you are simply shooting to meet assignment requirements, your voice will never develop. If you are a student that pushes, pays attention to detail, works to capture the best image possible, not only will your voice develop, but it will be loud and clear. Professors want images that are unique, creative, show effort, and an ability to improve as the class progresses. If you enter a level 300 or 400 class and your work still reflects that of a 100 or 200 level class, that is generally the result of apathy toward your work.



Developing your message / style / voice isn't easy, and it isn't meant to be. It is what separates your work from others, the thing that allows you to stand out from the crowd. It takes work, commitment, and creativity. When you are faced with an assignment, whether you like it or not, do your absolute best to bring the vision to life and exceed the expectations of your Professors. Then and only then, will your "voice" be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!