Thursday, December 5, 2013

Overcoming Yourself


 Matthew at Lake Tahoe, (Thursday Ambassador) ©MOKOPhoto 2013

Prior to PH 123, the only experience I had taking photographs of people was shooting my husband.  I found the thought of shooting anyone else horrifying. I am not certain why.  It could possibly have something to do with me being very socially awkward...I don't do well with people, and never have.

I have always been in love with nature, and fascinated by the act of capturing a moment of nature in time.  The world is ever-changing, and no two shots in nature are the same.  They may look the same, but there is always something different....

  Back on point, there was an assignment in PH 123 which required I shoot three different people, and they could not be anyone living in my home.  Me shooting my husband went out the window.  I had no idea what I was going to do.  Luckily, he is a problem solver, and he hates to see me upset.  He had a plan.

At work, I was sitting at my computer when I saw my husband walking from across the street with two of our occupants.  Bless his heart, he had asked them if I could shoot them for my assignment, and they happily said yes. I shot them in my office, and out front on a bench.  The images turned out great considering it was my first time.





Angel, (Thursday Ambassador) ©MOKOPhoto 2013

I needed one more person, so I went to my friend Bev's to see if I could shoot her, and she decided to ask her wonderful son Angel if I could shoot him.  He is such a great kid, and gladly said yes.  Once again, I surprised myself.  All the images turned out well, though all needed a few adjustments.

I stepped outside my comfort zone for that assignment. I broke myself into  shooting people with that assignment.  I am forever grateful, because I know that it wont be so frightening next time.  The pictures weren't perfect, but it was an awesome learning experience.  I encourage all other students to step outside your comfort zone.  Who knows, I may one day only shoot portraits instead of  working for NatGeo, which is my current goal. I will obviously need much more practice, but nothing is impossible. It never is.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I think so many of us have the same fears, but the only way to improve is to try new things and learn from them.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!