Friday, March 20, 2015

The Journey to Finding Your Own Voice

Hello everyone! I'm the new Friday Ambassador Jessi James. I started at the Art Institute in March of 2013 and I'm working on my BS in Photography.  I've been an SPS student leader since I started and I am excited to expand my roll to that of an Ambassador.

Frequently on your own journey here at AI you will hear all of us say to you what is your style? What sets you apart from every other photographer? Well if you were like me when I first started that question can set you into a panic saying I have NO idea!!

That is OK. Take a deep breath, no one starts out knowing what their own style or voice will be.  It is a process, a continuous ongoing process that changes as you change and grow.

The first question you might ask is why on earth do we ask you what your style is?  That is a very good question!

It is your own  style that will set you apart in our industry.  It is what helps to make sure that the right kind of clients for you find their way to you.  To give you an example, I thought I'd share my journey to finding my current style with you and how I define it to potential clients.

I actually created a fun single page introduction letter about myself to help potential clients know if I'm the right photographer for them. It helps to show my personal style and the style of photography a potential client might get if they elect to hire me.

                                                              Let your style show!
 
As you can tell I let my introduction letter share many hints about my style or creative voice! When I am asked, "Do you shoot Seniors?"  I always mentally pause.  I then will say I do shoot Seniors but if what you want is a standard Senior shoot let me introduce you to one of my colleagues.  I can completely do a great standard Senior shoot, however, if you want my best work I need a Senior who allows me complete creative control.  If you want a photographer that will work with you and your Senior to make sure you get the shoot that tells your Senior's story then I am your Senior Photographer.

When you have already realized your own creative voice it becomes easier to define your style in the way that you shoot.  Much like this introduction letter I will never be done evolving my creative style. The journey to finding my own voice will never end, it is a life long journey.  A document like this one is a tool to help define your style until your photographs can tell your story.

The greatest tip I can give you on your journey to defining your own style is shoot ... EVERYTHING!  I used to hate sports. It just wasn't my thing.  I took a job as a second shooter shooting Semi-Pro Football last summer.  After my first game I became the only photographer for my team and I was also hooked! This has lead to my paid internship shooting for the Jackson Silverhawks this summer.

So shoot often, shoot everything, and enjoy the journey of finding your own style! I look forward to being part of it!




Comments/Questions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!