Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Wide-Angle Wednesday- Life Outside the Classroom




Greetings Fellow Photogs!

Today I want to talk about life outside the classroom. All to often I see fellow students strive to meet the assignments but what are we doing outside the classroom to raise our skill level?

I’m going to assume that if you are reading this blog you have heard about PSPN.  What other resources have you used to enhance your skills daily?

Life outside the classroom can be hectic as we live in a crazy world. I’m always amazed when I see our Service Members who are deployed overseas in combat situations in class because I can’t even imagine the worry and stress they have to grasp concepts, complete assignments, have time for discussions, and at the same time answer the call of duty.

A lot of student’s have jobs and work long hours. Some may have a family, and even if you’re a stay at home mom like myself life can get busy. Some student’s have had the opportunity to work in the field of photography and start a business.



I once heard that in order to call yourself a photographer you need to be making enough money to pay the bills. For myself, a photographer is someone who has mastered some really great skills and like a fellow artist can produce beautiful images with all the elements of design in place.

Does it mean I’m a photographer? Not by a long shot, but that’s my personal opinion. I have a lot to learn, and a long road of schooling to complete. One daily goal I strive to achieve is to keep my mind open and available to learn something new. I’m a huge vlogger (video blogger) fan, and I subscribe to a lot of photography inspired channels on Youtube.  In addition I follow many on Facebook and read their daily adventures in the world of photography.

It’s important to build on your skill level because after all the sky is the limit in photography.  Another great resource is taking time to hone the skills! Don’t let the assignment be the final step, get out and explore.  During an assignment based on capturing motion, I stumbled across a video about focus panning. I was so excited I struck up a deal with my husband’s supervisor that if I shot the video they wanted for training purposes could they help me out in practicing a new skill. Being I live in a military environment, how cool would it be to capture a Humvee rolling down the track using focus panning. I only had two chances to capture the Humvee in motion because after all the military has to stay on task. The first attempt was a failure but the second attempt I got a couple images that were worthy to print and frame. I presented the prints to my husband supervisor and they now hang in the cadre office. After all they train Soldiers on tactical driving of Humvee’s.


I love magazines and tend to analyze photo imagery all the time. For instance when I figured out how to slow the motion of water,  all I could do was take trip after trip to a local man made spill way and practice shooting. Currently I have been focused on color saturation because I want to get it right at the camera than have to spend hours in post editing. Will I achieve a level in which post editing won’t be needed; I don’t think that level exist as the professionals still use post editing in shot’s from time to time. 

To end today’s talk, I want you to share your resources by commenting below. Networking is a great gift!

Don't forget to check out PSPN for photography hints, tips, events, and Faculty blogs!

Enjoy this Wide-Angle Wednesday from where ever you are!
From My Camera to Your's,




<= Your Wednesday Ambassador











*Images in today's blog is credited as my own work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!