Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Custom White Balance...OOPS

So I just finished an assignment and in this class we are only to use either Auto WB, or Custom WB.  Since I am comfortably familiar with the Custom WB setting on my camera, I decided to use it for this assignment, which is a color-concept assignment.  I decided to shoot the color red because it means so many different things to me; conjures so many emotions.

I had to shoot in the office at my day-job Tuesday and Wednesday, so I grabbed my white and grey cards, my camera equipment, and took them to work with me.  I had felt a...creative-block, of sorts lately, so when ideas started coming I took full advantage.  I decided where I was going to work, set up my white card, took a shot, set the custom setting with it, and went from there.  Everything looked great....

I uploaded my photos Wednesday night, and low and behold...they had this (somewhat ominous and mocking...) pink tint to them that seemed to laugh at my efforts and confidence with the Custom WB setting.





 I had to turn in the assignment within a couple hours, so there wasn't time to reshoot.  I considered turning my "red" assignment into a "pink" assignment...but I wasn't shooting for a "pink" assignment, I was shooting a "red" assignment.  I decided that I couldn't bring myself to play it off as a "pink" assignment (though it crossed my mind), I needed to acknowledge the error I made while shooting (in the classroom, as well as to myself) and learn from it. Thankfully, I am in school, and wasn't producing these images for a customer.  I had to pick the top five strongest images, and make minor edits to them. I focused on editing out the pink, without overdoing the modifications:


I couldn't get all of the pink out without overdoing the adjustments.  I honestly LOVE B&W photography.  I will probably end up converting most of the images in the set to B&W.  :)


So.  I will leave you with this to ponder:

What would you have done?  Do you think I overthought the situation?Would you have turned the "red" assignment into a "pink" assignment?  Yes or no, I would love your input.  I encourage all of you to participate, and if you would like, you could ask me something. :)  I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!