Friday, June 26, 2015

Choosing the right charity for Art Giving Back August

I am sure the first time you picked up your camera the people begging you to shoot them started pouring in.  However, not all charity work is the right kind of charity work.  Now don't get me wrong I'm the first to tell you if I actually had the time I would take on every single charity I could find but the reality is we all only have so many hours in a day.  So that means that we have to be selective on what charity work you choose to shoot.  There is nothing wrong with choosing the charity that in some way pays you back. In fact, that is what I'm going to advise you too do.

When looking for a charity here are a few things to consider.


             1. Do I have time to take on the specific job this charity needs?

             2. Is this a charity that I am personally passionate about?

             3. What will I earn by shooting this charity.


I know that number 3 is going to be the one that will be hard to think about at first but you should be earning something from your decision to shoot that specific charity.  It doesn't have to be money.  I'll give you an example of a charity that I have shot for that has paid me back in different ways.

          Future Pro-Skater - Sikes Houlahan exhibits at the AE Art Complex in Canton, OH

If you look at the photograph above it is a bit noisy which I wanted it to be because I was testing out a new camera.   I was pushing it to it's limits to see how much noise it had at over 12,000 ISO. Testing this new equipment to its limits using a F/4.5 lens was part of my payment. Let me explain.

I always look for great charities. As  mentioned, Art giving back is very important to me as is helping our my local artist community.  One of the local band members invited me to a charity event at the AE Industrial Art Complex in Canton. The show was an charity art show where 70 artists had decorated skateboards.  They were featuring skateboarding in the building as well as bands.  This is actually a long event but with 3 special dates during that event with charity auctions, bands, and skaters.

I love extreme sports so they had me at art and skaters. When I talked to the owner of the AE Art Complex to confirm he was OK with me coming down to shoot I realized it was a very dark location. Since I frequently shoot in low light I decided it was the perfect time to test out a new camera I wanted to try.  So I was already getting something besides the chance to get some cool shots I could share back with the charity.

When I got there I fell in love with the interior of the building.  It is an old warehouse but one that has some great bits to it. This great wall behind the skater was painted that day by owner who is also an artist.  They have this funky wooden house they have built inside the building that you can actually go inside but that they hang art work on.  They have a great vintage wooden bar with bar stools and the mirrors behind it.  Plus they also just have some empty spaces.

I immediately thought to myself I want to shoot in here. I want to bring in models and shoot. Not only does it have great spaces but it also has areas where I could build my own sets and it's heated in the wintertime.  Before I left I told the owner Matt that  I   love his building.  I told him I'd love to bring in models and shoot in here. He said well you are welcome to come shoot here anytime you want. He told me they used to have a photographer who came in but she decided she thought it was dirty. I said are you kidding me. I love the grungy feel. I said I want to shoot like ball gowns in here! He laughed and told me it was my space anytime I needed it.

So my second reward from this charity shoot was making a great contact and getting a great space to shoot in.  I can see using his space alone or as a joint venture often. There is always artist there working which I love to shoot too.

The 3rd benefit for both him and I happened last week. This photograph is the only photograph I have shown him so far as I've been very busy shooting football.  He asked me if he could use the photograph in the flyer for their next event.  Now on one hand at this point I could have asked for pay yes, but remember this is a charity event and I've already earned a few things from this.  I said sure if you can toss me a copy of your flyer and give me credit in it, it is all yours.  He said awesome we are putting it in Pulp Culture Magazine which is a Cleveland Magazine.  I of course told him that would be great.

It doesn't hurt the charity I was helping with any of the 3 ways I got paid for helping them with photography.  Other charities I have shot for have included free meals and other magazine credits. I shoot our local Santa Breakfast which is great for exposure in our community even if it doesn't pay as much as I could earn shooting somewhere else.

Art giving back doesn't have to cost you anything but your time and it can pay you back in many rewarding ways!  So I challenge you to each find something amazing that pays you back in some way for our Art giving back August Photo Challenge!

I can't wait to see what you shot when you post your charity photos in September!

Jessi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!