Tuesday, December 2, 2014

My Time to Bid Farewell

It has been a long journey, full of triumphs and frustrations, but well worth my time and energy.  I have told the story many times that before I began the Photography program knowing next to nothing about the field only that I loved taking photographs and my dream job was to one day be a National Geographic photographer.  I may not be a published photographer yet but it is certainly in my future because I know that I have the determination, ambition, and talent to achieve my dreams.  It's going to take a lot of hard work and time, but over these last two and a half years I have understood all-the-more that hard work pays off.  


A lot has changed since I started school.  For the longest time I was decidedly a Nature photographer but through the experiences that each class and each assignment had presented me with I was able to explore my strengths and weaknesses as a photographer--not something you can easily do by learning to be a photographer by watching YouTube videos.  I still love Nature photography but I now call myself an Editorial photographer.  My goal is still to one day work for National Geographic but in the meantime I plan on working for smaller publications to get more experience, continue building my portfolio, and also build a reputation and credibility as an established professional.   


These things took two and a half years to cultivate.  My plans may change tomorrow but that's ok because in photography we never stop learning.  I had no idea what it took to be a successful professional.  Now I know that it is a lot harder than it looks and I have a more profound respect for those who have achieved success in the field.  Here are some of the best personal tid-bits that I picked up while attending the Art Institute of Pittsburgh - Online Division:

My historic photographer counterpart is Eugene Atget.  

During Photo History we were presented with the notion that we are all inspired by someone from history but at the time I had actually never even heard of Ansel Adams.  I thought this was ridiculous because I didn't have any knowledge of photographers whom I might be imitating.  Through more research and study I found a photographer that struck me as so familiar in style and aesthetic and it was Atget.

You cannot teach passion or curiosity.

It has to come from within.  Instructors cannot instill these attributes.  If you do not have the passion for photography you will not learn how to be passionate about it.  The same goes with curiosity.  If you do not have natural wonder you cannot be taught how to derive a deeper inquisition.

Your demonstrated time management says a lot about your personal character.


I was only ever late ONCE.  It was a response to one of my peers almost two years ago but I have never forgotten.  It is disrespectful and negligent to wait until the last minute to post assignments and/or responses.  If, and inevitably when, something goes wrong you suddenly have excuses for your late post but ultimately you cannot blame anyone or anything but yourself for being a procrastinator.  Stop waiting until the last minute because it's not just instructors who notice and classmates like me, it's your employers, clients, and future clientele who are going to see how you not only manage your time but their time and yourself as a professional.


I am going to miss school but I am looking forward to stepping out on my own with the knowledge I have gained and show the world what a great photographer I am and will be.  Its been a pleasure meeting and working with you all.  Best wishes in your futures!



Works Cited

Atget, Eugène. "(1856-1927), Stubborn horse, 1898, France." Photograph. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 1 Dec 2014. 
<http://quest.eb.com/#/search/170_2983546/1/170_2983546/cite>

Atget, Eugene. "Chatillon, glycine, 1919." Photograph. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 1 Dec 2014. 
<http://quest.eb.com/#/search/109_165072/1/109_165072/cite>

Atget, Eugene. "Saint-Cloud, 1924." Photograph. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 1 Dec 2014. 
<http://quest.eb.com/#/search/109_165412/1/109_165412/cite>

Atget, Eugene. "Verrieres, coin...1922." Photograph. Encyclopædia Britannica ImageQuest. Web. 1 Dec 2014. 
<http://quest.eb.com/#/search/109_165097/1/109_165097/cite>




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!