Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The End is Near but it's Far from Over

As I approach the final week of school I am realizing how important some elements of these classes are in preparing us to be released into the wild, to make the transition from student to professional.

In the early stages of school I wanted to be a "well-rounded photographer" who was capable of photographing anything and everything so that I could appeal to more clients.  There are classes that force us to choose one specific area of interest and however frustrating it may seem to settle into one niche, it does make putting together your portfolio as well as learning how to talk about yourself as a professional easier.  Having more work and experience in a certain area of photography still allows you creative freedom while you build a larger collection of images.  



My newly-developed area of interest, Editorial photography, was actually a lot easier to put together into a portfolio than it was when I called myself a Nature photographer because the Photography program allowed me to explore other areas of the field that I would otherwise not get to try in the real world.  I found comfort in nature but found my calling doing environmental portraits and photo stories from the assignments I shot for class as well as for myself.



You may be taking classes that you have no interest in but you will also have classes that inspire you.  I had my fair share of snooze-worthy classes but I also had a handful that really opened my eyes to my own skills and talents as well as one special instructor who inspired me to pursue the editorial genre.  Accept challenges as opportunities to grow, ask questions for better comprehension, and never stop shooting what you are passionate about.  



I recently had an assignment where I was required to use my strobes--I haven't used those in months so I was both dreading and looking forward to packing up my studio and doing an on-location shoot.  I was anxious because I had no idea what the location was going to look like but I definitely knew how to use my lights.  I actually felt confident going in to the shoot--something I had never really felt before when I did any portraiture.  At the end of the program it feels good to finally have confidence, but it feels even better knowing I worked hard to get where I am.  None of it came easy, not even this last class where I felt more frustrated and misunderstood than I ever have before, but I am proud that I never gave up.  I didn't have the extra time to work on my projects as I have in the past, but every time I do a photo shoot I find myself saying, "I love my job!"



Next week will be my goodbye post, but in the meantime you can check out my Web portfolio here.  



What classes have inspired you?  Tell me in the comments or share a story about how you have developed as a photographer since you started school!




(All photos in this post are my own.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!