Friday, May 9, 2014

Three People You Need on Your Team!

There is so much that goes into running a business. If you plan on working for yourself, you're still going to need some help. Some of you may want to hire on assistants or go into partnerships with other photographers, but there are three key team members everyone should have.

1. Lawyer. Whether you seek out individual counsel or get covered legally through a professional organization like Professional Photographers of America (PPA), an attorney can help you draft solid contracts and will be able to assist if something happens that requires representation.

2. Accountant. Tax season makes me oh so anxious! If I didn't have someone on my team to make sure my numbers make sense and I have found all possible deductions, I'd probably end up paying way too much and thinking I paid way too little. An accountant can get you on the right track when it comes to bookkeeping, and can also provide financial advice about things like incorporation.

3. Insurance agent. Covering your gear with good insurance will save you major headaches when something breaks or is stolen. It's stressful enough to lose an expensive camera to damage or a thief; you don't want the fact that you have bad or no insurance to bring even more stress to the situation! PPA covers up to a point, but you'll likely need to up your coverage as your gear collection grows.

I also have a great banker and fabulous friends who will model for my lighting and retouching experiments (like Briana, right), all of whom have helped make my business stronger. If you've started your business or have experience in the industry, what do you think of the list? Did I miss someone vital to your team?

-Friday Ambassador

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!