Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Wide-Angle Wednesday

Good Morning PSPN and Welcome to Wide-Angle Wednesday!

My name is Corina and I’m a student studying in the BS Photography program. I just recently celebrated my first year at AI and look forward to blogging all about my experience and everything photography right here every Wednesday.

Why call it “Wide-Angle” Wednesday? Because “Hump Day” is over rated...dang camel!

Let’s see, a wide angle lens serves a purpose in two ways
  • ·        Gives you a wide angle of view
  • ·     Shorter focal length
The goal in blogging here at PSPN is to provide that wide-angle view in both our course study and our love for photography. It’s an opportunity to add emphasis and detail to your foreground studies, as you capture and hone your skills in the background. A shorter focal length is not a bad thing; it represents your passion to be up close and personal to your studies.

Take advantage of Wide Angle Perspective!

example of exaggerated wide-angle perspective

We have a wide angle view meaning objects up close will seem bigger in size than that of the background. Naturally in life, our short term goals are in the foreground and the long term goals fall into the background. We all strive to meet our long term goals but we can’t achieve perspective without the short term being upfront and completed first.  

So where am I going with the photography, wide angle lens lingo on a Wednesday?

Well I like to make comparisons and normally when I do, I use something recognizable to the audience. I’m also an inspiring landscape photographer, with a side of journalism. As photographers we may take a second or two to determine what lens we need, lighting, accessories, and settings we plan to use to capture the image. Sometimes the outcome is awesome, other times the outcome is a shot being missed. Let your time here be that awesome shot, in other words take more than a second to determine what you need as you go forward in learning new skills.   

We have all heard the saying “cross your t’s and dot your i’s”. I like to take it one step further and say don’t forget to capitalize your Education Opportunities and don’t let the assignment be the period to the end of practicing your new skills.
















My photography inspiration comes from growing up in the Yosemite Valley in California. Anyone from the area has probably seen the works of Ansel Adams a thousand times over. At some point I thought an awesome job in life would be a Forest Ranger. Little did I know I would fall in love with the art, and the history behind the images. I still have a passion for the environment and being outdoors, I just rather wear a camera than a uniform. Below is a quote also well-known and used a lot in the photography world.
"You don’t make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” –Ansel Adams
In closing, let your path in photography be wide angled. Stay focused and your path will be filled with perfect shots. 

I look forward to next week's Wide-Angle Wednesday as it’s Christmas! Good day to capture memories and eat some good food.

From my camera to yours, may all your images tell a story!
The Wednesday Ambassador

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!