Thursday, September 10, 2015

Need help? How do you find the right person???

First of all let me take a moment to thank everyone for checking on me when I elected to get really sick over the last few months! I'm almost afraid to say that I am finally out of the water but I think it is finally safe to say that!

As I had to put off many of the shoots that I had going on in the month of August including most of my charity shoots I'm holding off for a moment on talking about my charity shoot.  What I finally had to do was a bit different so I'd like to talk about it later in the month after a few people have posted their charity shoots. I also have something that has come from my shoot that I may want to talk about if something has 100% worked itself out by the time I write that post.

I did a fun Senior shoot in the end of July and it was the first that I used my Make up/Hair Stylist/ Stylist, Issy.. Several other photographers asked me how do you  find the right person to help you in this role that you can trust.

So that is what this Friday's Blog comes from.  It is all about choosing the right Assistant when you need to have one.  It was really a bit of a challenge that I had to take on until I found Issy.


                  Issy and I do some modeling test shots for lighting before my client arrived.

I am not going to start right away introducing you to Issy because she and I go way back and that is part of this story!  Let's just talk first in general about choosing help!

Step 1. - Know what you want in an assistant


This may seem a bit silly but do you know what you want an assistant for?  Is it for make up? If it is for make up do you want them to do do hair?  Do you just want someone to hold your reflector? Will they be shooting as a back up?

If you don't know what you need help with you can't pick the right person for the job!  So first sit down and write a list of what things you may need help with on a given shoot.


Step 2. - How much are you willing to pay and how will you pay them?


In the case with Issy, I require $100 fee for her upfront at the start of the shoot.  If I either state I have to have her for a shoot or someone elects to want add her on to the shoot she is paid up front by the client.

Will this be true of every shoot we do together.  No.  3/4 of the time if we are only doing Senior shoots, or modeling portfolio shoots yes.  As the shoots get more complicated her fee goes up and I add it into the cost of what I am shooting vs. the client seeing a particular number unless they want a fee break down.  

So it is important to know what you are willing to pay and how it will be paid before you start your shot.

Step 3. - Test your Assistants before you work with them.


You do not want to look bad with a client and your help can make you look that way.  You need to either screen your help well or test them before you are in a real shooting situation.  Asking other photographers for references is also a good option but you risk having to schedule your shoots around theirs if they use the same person as you.

Before using Issy I had tested out 3 or 4 different make up artists.

Important factors for me were as follows:

1. Timeliness
2. Friendliness / how well clients liked and trusted their decisions.
3. Attentive listening to my instructions as well as the client.
4. Products they used
5. Overall job quality.

Some of the other people I tested before Issy lacked some or all of these traits leaving a potential for disaster for me.  They are however, a good group who I can use as a back up if I know that Issy is already busy.  I just need to be aware of each of their flaws.

For me it only took 3 steps to know how I wanted to screen my MUA.  It could be less steps for you depending on the position you need help with it could be more depending on the job you have that you need help with.

In the case with the lovely Issy I have been working with Issy since she was 15 as a model. So I already knew many of these traits about her.  

After being frustrated with several people I tried I started paying attention to the fact Issy was always professional.  She was great at styling herself while we were shooting.  Her make up was always point on and she likes to change up her own look.

This first shoot was a test for Issy and she did brilliantly. 


                                2nd location after Issy touched up her make up.

 My client completely loved her. She did a great job on her hair and make up.  


                  Mobile Make Up Studio for on location shoot in this case was my car.  

She made her feel very comfortable.  She helped her pick out outfits that flattered her and even helped her with posing.  

Issy helps CJ learn how to stand in a flattering pose.


                             Issy makes last minute adjustments after straightening CJ's hair

I'm blessed to have found a great Make up Artist who will fill many roles for me while she is "just" doing make up. We are a good match.


Issy cheerfully making the last hair adjustments for this shoot.


Don't wait until the last second to go looking for the right person.  Start looking now for when you do need someone!

I look forward as always to here your thoughts and successes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!