Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Getting Ready for Giving Back

Hello everyone,

As we start this month of August I just celebrated my 15th wedding anniversary, I got two weddings booked for this weekend and I am setting up an estimate to shoot some head shots for a law firm.

Now, please forgive me if you think I am bragging. This was not the case because just over 11 months ago I was in a completely different situation altogether. Back then I had just started my business. I was not sure how I was going to pay for my final year college and I had little to no money to keep my business moving forward. However, I had a plan. I had done my analysis (yes, you will doing a course like that as well, business plan included if you have not already completed it)  and I knew what was required of me. Roll up the sleeves and get to work.

I got started doing all the free Facebook postings and any free advertising that I could. I got my name out there, but nothing happened.... immediately. Yes, it takes time. I was in a place that was as far from my comfort zone as I could possibly get. I am sure that many of you have been or are in similar positions. Don't be stressful about that (if you can help it). I did my first giving back session a few years ago so I know what it feels like and that was the give start that I needed to get the momentum going.

As we all get ready for giving back this month of August, I know that there are quite a few of you out there that might be very hesitant or even unsure about approaching such an intimidating task.

We all want to be great leaders in our community by been able to give back. However, as I found out there was so much that I needed for myself and my business that I never thought about giving back. I was the person in need. Why should I be giving back when I am struggling so much?  I needed to pay my bills, I needed to get my business up and running, find money for marketing and where to find customers? These are daunting tasks as you try and get your business moving forward.

We all have life's challenges to overcome and I can honestly say that I was very intimidated whenever I had to do something that took me outside my comfort zone. This was the event that added the momentum to my business that I needed.

Last week I spoke about been prepared for your shoot. You made contact and now you are ready to get going. If you are just starting out and this is the first time that you have ever done something like this, then do not panic. We are here to help. Here are a few helpful pointers I think will keep you moving forward.


  1. Don't be scared to get a NO. It only means you are moving closer to getting that YES!! 
  2. Make a list. Make sure you have a time table of events and things that are needed to accomplish. As you move through your day keep checking that you got each point done. It is not so much about getting the points done, but rather, if it is your first time, it gives you a structure around which you can work. At the end of the day you can break it down and see what worked and what did not work.
  3. Make sure you speak to someone about what you are doing. They can be a your best friend, father, mother or anybody that you trust. They will give you some sound advice and maybe even some personal experience stories. That is what it is all about. We are all going to be doing the same thing this month so don't be afraid to reach out to any of your peers. That is what we are here for. We would love to help if it is at all possible. I am in the Boston area. If you need my assistance then please reach out. 
  4. Look at this session as an opportunity to grow your photographic EMPIRE!! I always think big. It makes me feel better and I know I can still dream. I know it will do the same for you. There are so many small things that go into running a great session. This is just a great platform for you to get the exposure in the marketplace as a photographer. 
  5. Finally, have some fun. Make sure you use some of the tips I mentioned last week. to ensure that you have a great day. If you come away from the day making just one person happy then I can say with confidence that you have made an impact and accomplished what we intended from this August photo experience.

Now, don't forget to send us your photographs. We would love to see where you have gone and the photographs that you have taken. I know we will be creating a great compilation from all the best photographs and you will have the opportunity, in the coming months,  to get your hands on a copy of all the winning photographs. 

Stay tuned here to see what we have in store for you.

In closing I wanted to leave you with an article I found while reading the Success web site. It is all about starting your own photography business. Written by Kelsey Humphreys it is all about how Jeremy Cowart, some of his lessons that he doles out and insights into his photography empire. 

More on Jeremy Cowart

Have a great week and I am really looking forward to seeing all your photographs. #aipodvolunteer 

Denzil

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!