Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Where do you find your Inspiration?

I am sure that everyone of us goes through this dilemma. What gets you going? How do you find the photographs that you need? How can you just start photographing again?

No it is not just about picking up a camera and starting to photograph. That sounds so much like snapshots to me and that is not what I am referring too.

Last week I had a really tough week. I had to find suitable subject matter for my final project, work was crazy and my son landed up in hospital. Not a good week for me.I really did not feel like photographing at all and to be honest all I wanted to do was curl up into a small ball and sleep for a month.

Well that was not going to happen! So how did I get my spark for photography back? Well, that is a really fun thing to do for me. I cannot say that it will work for you but here are a few things that I did that forced me to get my camera out again and start photographing once again. It is really ground breaking stuff so I think you might need to write this down. Here it is!

I went for a walk.

Yup, that is what the ground breaking thing was. All I did was put all my digital devices in a draw at home and I jumped into my car and went for a walk at one of my favorite spots. Now you must be thinking how this would help the creative process. Remember I had no intention of photographing so I was open to the beauty and surroundings of the walk. I think it was my subconscious that was in charge on that walk because as a photographer, as many of you are aware, you see compositions in so many different ways.

You are aware of line, texture, shape and form. You are also aware of tonal ranges and perspective. These are the things we often take for granted when we are photographing because of muscle memory. In most cases it is your brain and fingers working in tandem to formulate all this information into your own master pieces. By been open to just the walk I started seeing all the beauty around me. My muscle memory immediately noticed all these patterns, colors and textures. So my immediate reaction is to reach for my camera. Well it is not there. Remember I left it all at home because I did not want to photograph. So I had to return later that same day to capture that which I had seen. I had gotten my mojo back!

It is the passion that gets me up in the morning. It is the medication that gets me through those tough days of sick children and awful hospital visits. It is the tonic for finding final project themes.

So spend some time without your camera and it might just be the solution you were looking for.

Here are a few photographs from my 3 hour walk.




Have a great week and I will speak to you again next week.

Denzil


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and ask questions we are here to help!